• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
4th September 1959, home to Stockport County. We won 2-1 tho' for some reason I always thought we lost 2-1. Alan Banks became my all-time City hero (closely followed by Fred Binney, Tony Kellow and Darren Rowbotham of course!).
Funny how memory works isn't it? I've still got the programme from my first game (the Brentford one noted above) and I've even written 1-3 on it. But the ECFC Bible and all the 'historical records' websites have it down as 1-2. I can only assume that Brentford scored a disallowed goal, I can't see why else I would write 1-3 on the programme.

suffolklad

Difficult but probably 8th August 1958 home to Barrow. Mum used to take me and sit in the old Grandstand. Always remember Nelson Stiffle flying down the right wing. with the gifted Gordon Dale on the left. All time hero probably Dermot Curtis and the partnership he had with Banks.
I have a soft spot for Derek Grace. That's because he lived with us whilst he was at city and used to take me to practice down at Exwick.

andrew p long

Funny how memory works isn't it? I've still got the programme from my first game (the Brentford one noted above) and I've even written 1-3 on it. But the ECFC Bible and all the 'historical records' websites have it down as 1-2. I can only assume that Brentford scored a disallowed goal, I can't see why else I would write 1-3 on the programme.
Oh gawd, what an awful memory!

You'll be telling us next you missed the dramatic late four goal comeback at Anfield to win 4-3 in the League Cup , justifying Tis' strange but astute team selections and silencing for ever all those who criticised it.

CC

Oh gawd, what an awful memory!

You'll be telling us next you missed the dramatic late four goal comeback at Anfield to win 4-3 in the League Cup , justifying Tis' strange but astute team selections and silencing for ever all those who criticised it.
#stillfunny

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always remember seeing Kieth Harvey walking down the lane next to our house in Crediton, he lived somewhere up Buller Rd i think in one of the Council Houses, and used to catch the bus from Crediton into Exeter for both matches and training. Oh how times have changed, just look at the style of cars in the car park at C&F to realsie this.
State of the buses now it would take him the best part of two hours to bus it to training from Crediton

Stelios

First I can remember was home V Wigan in 1992. Goalless draw. I liked that Wigan were sponsored by Heinz.

First city idol was Danny Bailey.
Other early 90s memories were Hull City's marvelous 'Tiger print' kit and Cambridge Utd giving us a good beating at SJP with Dion Dublin up front

Alistair20000

#stillfunny
#stilllovingthis

Reactions: CC

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Other early 90s memories were Hull City's marvelous 'Tiger print' kit and Cambridge Utd giving us a good beating at SJP with Dion Dublin up front
This one?

Steve(?) Butler scored all five. Dion Dublin had moved on by then.

netherexe

This one?

Steve(?) Butler scored all five. Dion Dublin had moved on by then.
I have misty memories of a 1-1 draw with Notts County in what (I looked up the records) must have been January 1970. I was 11 and my parents did not know where I was.

Martin Weiler

Here’s the match report from the Grecian Archive. No mention of a disallowed goal!