• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will we lose many players in the transfer window?

Cygnus

Last season at this point, rumours were rife that the likes of Deano, Harley and Seaborne would be leaving in the January transfer window and fortunately nothing came of the rumours and they all stayed to play a crucial part in our Promotion winning team. If any or all of them had left, I wonder if we might of missed out on outright promotion and ended up instead in the lottery of the play offs.

So with rumours beginning to start again about Seaborne and Harley leaving, I'm starting to wonder what effect them or other players leaving might have on this season's team. Would it stop us clinching a play off spot or more likely slip us from a mid table side to a possible relegation team?

I'm sure Tis will have replacements in mind and I more than trust his judgement, but it does worry me the effect some of our star players leaving might have on the team.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Mackie leaves and is not replaced by a big money signing we're doomed.

(copyright- various Exewebbers circa Jan 2008)

Last edited:

Saint James

Our most probable possible leavers (Dan S, Ryan and Jonesey) are in the most critical of positions and we don't have obvious solutions to them leaving (although Marriot will see us through this year). However, Tiz has developed a team based squad and approach which is in stark contrast to teams built around one or two key players. I've no doubt that whilst disappointed to see certain players leave the 'team' will work it out in their absence.

finetime

It would be good to see some of the boys who aren't getting any games go on loan for a bit...

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone any idea what amount of money/compensation we're likely to get for seabourne if he leaves at the end of the season?
Might This influence if he goes in January?.

Saint James

Anyone any idea what amount of money/compensation we're likely to get for seabourne if he leaves at the end of the season?
Might This influence if he goes in January?.
This is of course a game of Russian Roulette as a group of nomarks sat around a table will decide on the 'worth' of a player when disputed between two clubs. The 'scientific' approach usually takes the form of Club A have offered e.g. 10k and Club B are asking for 100k - how's about if we meet in the middle lads - 50k alright?

In our favour is the fact that we have invested several years of time into the player who has come through our yoof system. As well as this he has played 70? matches and was the Captain. Compo I would suggest would begin at 100k given his best years are just ahead of him.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
No we won't. We'll only let a few more go out on loan.

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jonesy won't be going anywhere this season

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Jonesy won't be going anywhere this season
How do you know Shabba?

I've heard a few championship clubs are looking at him

Tada

happygrecian

I can't see that anyone is going to take Jonesy on until they've seen him back on a pitch at full fitness.

Losing Harley would be a blow, less so Danny, though he is looking a strong member of the team at the moment. I don't think Tis would sell Ryan at this point, not if he has any ambition. We need to strengthen our squad, not weaken it if we're going to be competitive at this level.