• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That French lass with the pony tail is driving me nuts, passing to the opposition every bloody time.

IndoMike

Then that would be nine wrong decisions.
No point arguing when I know I'm right.

Alistair20000

No point arguing when I know I'm right.
But you are not. No penalty was awarded.

I only switched on to watch the news :)

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Best side won. England will find it tough against the US.

IndoMike

France wuz robbed. The rules are now that if the ball hits the arm in the area it's a pen, deliberate or not. Come on England.

Alistair20000

France wuz robbed. The rules are now that if the ball hits the arm in the area it's a pen, deliberate or not. Come on England.
Is that right Indo.? I thought it was more complicated than that. :S Arm in unnatural position, making oneself bigger, ball to hand and all that other guff.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Is that right Indo.? I thought it was more complicated than that. :S Arm in unnatural position, making oneself bigger, ball to hand and all that other guff.
What's a natural position? The arm of the defender was half-outstretched. I agree the ball went to arm and not vice versa but it still blocked the cross. The ball wasn't thumped at her. Is "arms by the side" a natural position?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

What's a natural position? The arm of the defender was half-outstretched. I agree the ball went to arm and not vice versa but it still blocked the cross. The ball wasn't thumped at her. Is "arms by the side" a natural position?
My approach to penalties is to employ the elephant test. Simples. You know what is is when you see it. That incident was not a penalty or an elephant.

IndoMike

Some comments from the Beeb:

If that wasn't a penalty then the Japan one wasn't, the Scotland one wasn't etc. They've changed the interpretation of the rule mid competition.

Tony Reekie
SMS Message: So frustrating, if Sissoko's "handball" in the CL final was a penalty, so should that have been. Inconsistent. from Nevo, Epsom
So frustrating, if Sissoko's "handball" in the CL final was a penalty, so should that have been. Inconsistent.

Nevo, Epsom

Pat Nevin also thought it was a pen.
I thought that because of so much subjectivity about handball that was indeed the reason why they simplified the rule to say ball touching arm/hand is a pen.

IndoMike

My approach to penalties is to employ the elephant test. Simples. You know what is is when you see it. That incident was not a penalty or an elephant.
Thank you. And on that note I should go to bed before I get a thick ear from my dearly beloved. Hopefully I won't dream about elephants.