• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2023/24

Bridgy 81

To be honest I only really ever see our young players in action in person during pre-season friendlies.
So I’d be interested in any thoughts about who may be in with a chance of stepping up next season and challenging for a spot in our first team squad.
Obviously Jake Richards is at the moment probably the pick of the bunch and he’ll be turning 17 in the summer. Maybe a loan at a very decent level for 6 months then review.
Or is he ready for a place now?
I know he’s very young but it’s been done before!
I’ve liked the look of Pedro whenever I’ve seen him play (admittedly end of last season and summer friendlies) and he clearly had a lovely cameo on Saturday.
He’ll be 19 in the summer as will Charlie Cummins (who I’ve not seen at all) and Mitch Beardmore.
I recall GC saying Cummins is an old fashion type of player - maybe he’s earmarked to replace Harry Kite?
That’s a lot of midfielders there but we potentially have a lot of vacancies to fill in that area.
We’ve also had news of Ed James’ contract extension so that implies he’s well thought of.
I think he’s slightly the older than the above and physically looks the part as a centre back.
I know he’s been a regular for Dorchester and has been playing well but I’ve no idea whether that’s in a two or a three.
So if he’s lined up for an opportunity in our team would he be right, centre or left?
Those are the ones, with my limited knowledge, I currently have the best hopes for.
But there’s always a surprise or two along the way to keep things interesting.
And I still haven’t given up hopes of seeing Harry Lee between the sticks for us in the next season or two.
Seems like I’ll be firing up the motor for trips to Taunton, WsM and Bath again in a few weeks time.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be honest I only really ever see our young players in action in person during pre-season friendlies.
So I’d be interested in any thoughts about who may be in with a chance of stepping up next season and challenging for a spot in our first team squad.
Obviously Jake Richards is at the moment probably the pick of the bunch and he’ll be turning 17 in the summer. Maybe a loan at a very decent level for 6 months then review.
I’ve liked the look of Pedro whenever I’ve seen him play (admittedly end of last season and summer friendlies) and he clearly had a lovely cameo on Saturday.
He’ll be 19 in the summer as will Charlie Cummins (who I’ve not seen at all) and Mitch Beardmore.
I recall GC saying Cummins is an old fashion type of player - maybe he’s earmarked to replace Harry Kite?
That’s a lot of midfielders there but we potentially have a lot of vacancies to fill in that area.
We’ve also had news of Ed James’ contract extension so that implies he’s well thought of.
I think he’s slightly the older than the above and physically looks the part as a centre back.
I know he’s been a regular for Dorchester and has been playing well but I’ve no idea whether that’s in a two or a three.
So if he’s lined up for an opportunity in our team would he be right, centre or left?
Those are the ones, with my limited knowledge, I currently have the best hopes for.
And I still haven’t given up hopes of seeing Harry Lee between the sticks for us in the next season or two.
Seems like I’ll be firing up the motor for trips to Taunton, WsM and Bath again in a few weeks time.
Ed played on the RCB in a back four for Dorchester last night. I think he could play on the right or centre of a back three. He will end up being similar to Aimson in size and style.

Bridgy 81

Ed played on the RCB in a back four for Dorchester last night. I think he could play on the right or centre of a back three. He will end up being similar to Aimson in size and style.
Right thanks.
I’d sign up Cheick so that’s our central back six sorted to start the season, assuming Jules stays.
Loan Ed out at a decent level for six months then review.
Depending on how he and the others perform he could be back in the New Year competing for a spot on the right or in the centre of the defence.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another ridiculously young line-up of "under 18’s". Must be the youngest average age team the club has ever fielded in this competition.

Down - under 15’s age group.
Cayless - u15
Alsop - u15
Oakes - u17
Horn - u16
Dean - u18
Birch - u17
Crees - u16
Graham - u16
Williams - u14
Ohanaka - u17

Wilson - u17
Cutler - u17
Bown - u16
Hodgets - u16
Appleton - u15
Not too bad of a result given the ages.

andrew p long

I largely agree with this. But I would do one bit the other way round, loaning out Borges, not Richards.

Judging by his performance on Saturday Richards looks first team ready to me in a Grimes-esque way. Calm head, understands the game, keeps it simple.If we have four main central midfielders next season (two to play, one to come on as a finisher and a fourth to cover injuries, suspensions, 3 games in a week etc) then I think Richards could be one of the four ( a midfield quartet say of Woods,Carroll,Cole and Richards would be fine)

With Pedro when in the first team I felt he hadn't quite got the balance right between displaying massive enthusiasm without overdoing it in a damaging way (getting out of position, being booked for over-strong challenges, trying something too ambitious). He's also had unsuccessful loans. So- despite the brilliantly audacious assist on Saturday- he might benefit more from a 6 month loan next season.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I largely agree with this. But I would do one bit the other way round, loaning out Borges, not Richards.

Judging by his performance on Saturday Richards looks first team ready to me in a Grimes-esque way. Calm head, understands the game, keeps it simple.If we have four main central midfielders next season (two to play, one to come on as a finisher and a fourth to cover injuries, suspensions, 3 games in a week etc) then I think Richards could be one of the four ( a midfield quartet say of Woods,Carroll,Cole and Richards would be fine)

With Pedro when in the first team I felt he hadn't quite got the balance right between displaying massive enthusiasm without overdoing it in a damaging way (getting out of position, being booked for over-strong challenges, trying something too ambitious). He's also had unsuccessful loans. So- despite the brilliantly audacious assist on Saturday- he might benefit more from a 6 month loan next season.
It strikes me that Borges is one of those players where the bigger the stage the better the performance.

denzel

It strikes me that Borges is one of those players where the bigger the stage the better the performance.
It could have been one of those sliding doors moments for Pedro on Saturday. He came on because Vinnie went off injured shortly after coming on as sub himself. I assume it was never part of the plan to bring Pedro on (certainly for that amount of time) but he really grasped his opportunity well

tonykellowfan

Of the younger players, Cox should stay with the first team. Richards and Borges may get loans I guess it will probably depend on who we sign and their preseason.

Mitch Beardmore I have always thought looked like a good player, I hope he can get a good preseason next year.

Boyo

Not too bad of a result given the ages.
Indeed. I don't think the youth coaches will be concerned about the results at all (assuming that we are playing against teams consisting largely of older lads). They'll be focused on development and performance over results, every time.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the important thing is that we always put out sides that are competitive ie no 9-0 tonkings which benefit no-one (on either side).
Agreed. I once played in a KO Final where the opposition scored well into double figures !