• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club shop!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair; after having a chat with someone the other day about this (that is in the know) it seems that the club's online shop has been left to volunteers to do. Said volunteers have loads on their plate and aren't professional web designer / developers HOWEVER they do the best they can with what they are given. I'm sure if anyone was willing to offer their services for free on here, then they would probably get some type of response...
Can't any of our paid marketing dept. knock up a decent website.. ? This is 2014 : kids are brought up on IT now. It really shouldn't be so difficult.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
It isn't that difficult at a simple level, Mike. I have a personal website - and I'm no great shakes at this sort of thing - it costs me about £4 a month and the software was a little over £20. It has full e-commerce capabilities (which I don't use) and enough capacity to cope with the type of traffic ECFC would attract.

IndoMike

It isn't that difficult at a simple level, Mike. I have a personal website - and I'm no great shakes at this sort of thing - it costs me about £4 a month and the software was a little over £20. It has full e-commerce capabilities (which I don't use) and enough capacity to cope with the type of traffic ECFC would attract.
Yes, Rae. It's such an important earner for the club, yet the club doesn't seem to take it seriously at all. I'm no retail expert but I know if you don't have the stock or you don't advertise it well, then how can you sell? I don't know what the shirt sponsors think about this. I just can't understand why this situation continues : people have been suggesting it should be improved for a long time. As I implied, any bright High School kid could do better.

tavyred

For a business the size of ECFC (ie.relatively small) surely the club's online retail business should be the province of the club shop manager also. If he or she is incapable get rid or give them the opportunity to train up for the task.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was going to post on this thread but, on reflection, have decided banging my head against a brick wall would probably be more productive.

bsmaff

As I implied, any dumb Pre-School kid could do better.
Edited for factuals..

Also in regards to being able to pre-order the new home kit, I just meant that it should be available to purchase on the website now. So the kit could be sent out on day of release.
I bet come Monday it still won't be on the website, it could be useful for some people - I live in Southampton now and if I wasn't going to watch the Skate game I would of bought the shirt online.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
For a business the size of ECFC (ie.relatively small) surely the club's online retail business should be the province of the club shop manager also. If he or she is incapable get rid or give them the opportunity to train up for the task.
Would you say that if it wasn't Kelly.

Yeovil don't leave it to their shop manager.

Nor do saints rlfc.

Something like this needs full attention not dipped into when there's nowt else to do.

Surely we could produce something better through ebay?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are more things being added and they are tweaking it some more.

Was talking to Kelly and suggested them having a suggestion box or people email if there's anything they would like to see them stock. Due to the minimum order they have to deal with, then if they get enough people wanting something then they could order it.

As has been discussed certain clothing is just not possible as they don't have the room to keep in stock and can take years to sell.

tavyred

Would you say that if it wasn't Kelly.

Yeovil don't leave it to their shop manager.

Nor do saints rlfc.

Something like this needs full attention not dipped into when there's nowt else to do.
As you know I have found the customer 'experience' lamentable on a couple of occasions in the club shop, and have vowed never to return. That said, if you're going to give one of our few full time employees (I assume) a title like shop manager then it's seems logical to me to give them the responsibility of all aspects of the club's retail operation and perhaps use the unpaid volunteers to assist rather have them produce a sub-standard web presence as they have appeared to have done. As usual with the business side of the club it comes across as a bit of a dysfunctional shambles.