• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Double Locks was a great place to hide when Jamie had it (before Youngs made an offer he couldn't refuse!). Many a lock in and sobering walk home on the canal bank.
Ah ....... the good old days when pubs were pubs

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's the source of this sad news ? It's my local, and used to be a brilliant pub, with a restaurant downstairs and busy bars with great character at ground level. All started going Pete Tong about a dozen years ago when new owners changed it into a bistro pub, serving food everywhere, and ceasing to be a "proper" local, where you would always pop in for a casual drink.
It's on their facebook page. The post says:

"Closing time...
We know that many of you have been looking forward to the return of the Hourglass. Sadly, we will not reopening. We are yet another wonderful pub lost at the hands of a pub company. We have loved serving you and being part of the history of a building that could tell so many tales."

Oldsmobile-88

The Double Locks was a great place to hide when Jamie had it (before Youngs made an offer he couldn't refuse!). Many a lock in and sobering walk home on the canal bank.
Ah ....... the good old days when pubs were pubs
I loved the Double Locks in the early 1980s.Certainly not a arty venue then.I think it was still run by ECC in those days.
Great air hockey table in there.

It’s a much expanded pub these days.With prices to match.

Oldsmobile-88

Seems that The Hourglass is to become a pub of the past.
That’s a shame.One of a few more I fear over the next few months.

I remember going in there around 1982/83,i
the landlady was Alma,it was a darts pub back then.
There was a old guy who drunk in there who lost both of his arms below the elbow after a shunting accident at St David’s Station in the 1960s.
He drank by tipping the pint on the bar with his mouth & bending his knees to tip the pint into his mouth.
I saw more than one person with their mouth open in amazement when they first saw him do that.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Am I alone in wondering what happened when this chap felt the need to visit the Gents?

Oldsmobile-88

Walked past St Anne’s Well earlier this evening.The first day it’s been open since mid March last year.
It was busy inside & in the beer garden.
Glad to see this type of pub with good custom.
The Wetherspoons pubs especially The Imperial have been cleaning up in Exeter in the past 5 weeks.

Looking forward to next season with a few pre match Ales in the St Anne’s.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Turk's Head to finally re-open?

Oldsmobile-88

The Turk's Head to finally re-open?
As a pub or pizza restaurant ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As a pub or pizza restaurant ?
I got the impression that it would be a drinking establishment again.

Colesman Ballz

I got the impression that it would be a drinking establishment again.
Believe it was acquired by the City Pub Group plc as part of their expansion plans. They already took over The Old Firehouse a few years ago.