• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's on their facebook page. The post says:

"Closing time...
We know that many of you have been looking forward to the return of the Hourglass. Sadly, we will not reopening. We are yet another wonderful pub lost at the hands of a pub company. We have loved serving you and being part of the history of a building that could tell so many tales."

It seems that the "Book of Faeces" is another untrustworthy place with regard to FAKE NEWS. In todays Express & Error there is a story that a new landlord is being sought to take over. It is advertised at a rent of £30,000, plus an additional ingoing cost of £11,500.

Maybe there has been a dispute which prompted the Facebook Post ? It seems that last year the pub was even listed as an Asset of Community Value by Exeter City Council, acknowledging its place at the heart of the community !

Oldsmobile-88

Probably the wrong thread to put this on but its been reported of 75mins (plus) waiting times for drinks at the Imperial ‘Spoons during this nice weather.
Of course it’s all table service & ordered on the App.
Why anyone would want to wait that long is beyond me.
It’s a nice beer garden in the sun & cheap alcohol but who wants to wait that long & get their blood pressure raised ?

Support & visit the smaller pubs.You will pay a bit more but the service will no doubt be a lot quicker..

iscalad

Probably the wrong thread to put this on but its been reported of 75mins (plus) waiting times for drinks at the Imperial ‘Spoons during this nice weather.
Of course it’s all table service & ordered on the App.
Why anyone would want to wait that long is beyond me.
It’s a nice beer garden in the sun & cheap alcohol but who wants to wait that long & get their blood pressure raised ?

Support & visit the smaller pubs.You will pay a bit more but the service will no doubt be a lot quicker..
The drinks are paid for when you order. So if you walk out you are out of pocket.

Oldsmobile-88

The drinks are paid for when you order. So if you walk out you are out of pocket.
Yep..That’s the problem,though the security staff do tell people when tables are available that there is a very long wait.

Steve H

Current favourite watering hole is Pig & Pickle in Heavitree and if I do venture into the city centre it's always the Phoenix (for the terrace and the gigs)

Colesman Ballz

Believe it was acquired by the City Pub Group plc as part of their expansion plans. They already took over The Old Firehouse a few years ago.
Turks Head plans to reopen in late August, following completion of renovation works.

iscalad

I see St Anne's Well is closing again.

Oldsmobile-88

I see St Anne's Well is closing again.
The £20k increase in yearly rent from the brewery did not help & was probably the final straw.

A real shame, The young landlady, Shannon has run the pub the best I’ve ever known...

Oldsmobile-88

The Eagle was great for free pool as a kid (I knew the landlord).
Who was the Landlord Fred ? Was it Pete aka Spud. He had it before Kells iirc.

My main memory of that pub from the early 80s was Pete saying to me the minute I got in the door “ I’ve got a job for you bauy”.
Which meant the ignition on one of the gas fires in the lounge or bar was not working 😁

fred binneys head

Yep, it’s Spud! He’s my godfather and is a top, top man 👍