• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's happened? Has Sweeney been booked to cap a bad night?
Nah. Saw half time score and optimistic posts on here then went into a meeting and came out of it to see this score.
😡
Feck

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of those games where the result doesn't reflect the performance. I thought we played well generally. If Sparkes' shot had gone in and not rebounded of the cross bar, if Hartridge hadn't been in the wrong place for the o.g., if Blackman had saved the third (which imo he should have done). Definitely a game of 'if onlys'.
Funny how different commentators saw that - Charlton TV's Curbishly said result didn't flatter their performance and "expert" commentator called Alex (used to be on the previous EFL show, talked about how good that lot 40 mileish down the road were because Hallet has kept team moving the right way even when their manager was poached) said that he couldn't remember City threatening is 2nd half until we got a lucky penalty !

budegrecian

If Stubbs and Diabate were fit we would have won that. Going forward we frequently looked fantastic
Just one of them would have been enough.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know there was limited options on the bench but did anyone else feel like the subs were a bit reactive today?
Thought Smith might have been given a run out, add a bit of "physicality" to our forward line. Stanno looked shagged out second half.

Cowshed Grecian

Haven't seen the game, but can a team who concede 4 really say they've played well?
Because it was 2-1 for a long period and we would of been level if Sparkes shot hadn’t hit the bar. The other two we conceded were because we were pushing up and they caught us cold twice.
At 2-1…I was hoping Nicholson might change it I know he hasn’t got many options on the bench, but we were more than in control of the midfield perhaps bringing on Smith’s aerial threat and trying to get more high crosses in may of changed it up, would of been tempted to bring Cox on earlier too.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Funny how different commentators saw that - Charlton TV's Curbishly said result didn't flatter their performance and "expert" commentator called Alex (used to be on the previous EFL show, talked about how good that lot 40 mileish down the road were because Hallet has kept team moving the right way even when their manager was poached) said that he couldn't remember City threatening is 2nd half until we got a lucky penalty !
Another thing Curbs said was that we tired and could not bring much on from the bench because of our lack of depth in squad whereas they did and it was the fresh legs that finished us off.
I was impressed that we never gave up the fight as witnessed by Sam Nombe fighting for the ball at the end despite being fouled and then getting shoved over.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 points from 2 tough away matches is a decent return given the circumstances. We're a bit hit or miss at the moment but we're exciting to watch, can beat anyone on our day, and when our centre halves return giving us more solidity and competition at the back I think we'll really kick on and potentially make the play offs. We're very close to being a really good side.

Bridgy 81

Shhhhh! You'll upset Bridgy!
I think you’re confusing Josh Key with Archie Collins.
Easy mistake to make………I suppose…………… maybe!

Last edited:

dommers

How can you say anything about the game without watching it?

Have you watched football before? Surely you've seen teams play well and still lose? Have you chosen to hate the new manager before he's even been appointed? What if you are Paul Tisdale?
That's why it was a question? Yes I've seen lots of team play well and lose although not seen many teams play well and concede 4. Have you?

dommers

The defensive errors are to be expected with Key playing out of position unfortunately.
Completely agree. Just hope it doesn't mess up his confidence by being played out of position and us suffering as a result.