• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Oxford United matchday thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shortly after being booked Sweenz was also in the linesman’s ear over what appeared to be a handball in the build up to Oxford’s second.
He was captain on the pitch at the time - I would expect my captain to question such important decisions.

milts

Shortly after being booked Sweenz was also in the linesman’s ear over what appeared to be a handball in the build up to Oxford’s second.
It was offside. Quite clearly on the highlights

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still not a good look for the captain to get himself booked for dissent and not something that happened too often when Matt Taylor was in charge.
But he didn't, he got booked by a braindead referee for a perfectly good challenge. The card was out before Sweenz, quite understandably, went off on one.

Rosencrantz

He did implement his own changes and tactics though. He started with the usual team and formation but why wouldn't he as on the whole it's worked this season.

He changed from a back 3 to a back 4, dropped Sparks to left back, took Harper off and put MJ on and moved Kite into midfield and we then won the second half.

The disappointing thing wasn't the team selection or tactics it was the all round flat performance, no spark, too many off performances.

Weve conceeded 8 goals in 2 games and Diabate, Grounds, Stubbs can't come back soon enough.
All the tactics in the world doesn't help individual errors and running on empty. We need the injured players back to freshen things up as much as anything.

First goal today, the wall disintegrated. Second goal, not first to the second ball in the area (and was offside). Third goal, gave ball away on half way line and Caprice chose not to close the player down allowing a free shot from the edge of the area. Fourth goal, no challenge again leading to a free shot and no one on the rebound after a decent save. To be fair a good finish from a tight angle, the only place it was getting past Jamal was high into the roof of the net.

I doubt that was what was asked for tactically before the game. We just didn't perform.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But he didn't, he got booked by a braindead referee for a perfectly good challenge. The card was out before Sweenz, quite understandably, went off on one.
In which case, I stand corrected and he was very lucky not to get to sent off for the dissent.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caprice was at fault today and on Tuesday for a goal in each game. Not strong enough and doesn't really offer enough for me. With a fully fit squad he's on the bench.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
All the tactics in the world doesn't help individual errors and running on empty. We need the injured players back to freshen things up as much as anything.

First goal today, the wall disintegrated. Second goal, not first to the second ball in the area (and was offside). Third goal, gave ball away on half way line and Caprice chose not to close the player down allowing a free shot from the edge of the area. Fourth goal, no challenge again leading to a free shot and no one on the rebound after a decent save. To be fair a good finish from a tight angle, the only place it was getting past Jamal was high into the roof of the net.

I doubt that was what was asked for tactically before the game. We just didn't perform.
No manager can be held responsible for :-

Goal 1 - Nombe/Harper/Brown/Sparkes split apart & jumped
Goal 2 - 2 players offside from header
Goal 3 - Nombe loses ball at half way and Caprice fails to step out to defend
Goal 4 - Caprice ball watching rather than getting in close for keeper rebound

Totally agree with Rosy
UTC

wiveygrecian

Caprice was at fault today and on Tuesday for a goal in each game. Not strong enough and doesn't really offer enough for me. With a fully fit squad he's on the bench.
I’ve said it all season he is not and will never be good enough in league one

fred binneys head

He stayed on for a bit, picked up his suspension and then got pulled off.
Wasn’t all bad then.

Rosencrantz

Just to add, very well taken goal by Sonny today as well. Good anticipation and a cool head to finish.