• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Red red

My view about Caldwell is 50/50 but I am happy to give him time. I don’t agree with all his moves but our aim this season has to be stay in League 1. .As for moving forward I don’t really see how we can, we cannot compete with salaries of lower league 2 teams let alone league 1. I know Alfie Kilgour wanted to come to city but Mansfield and Newport offered more money, so as is usual with City we will last maximum 3 years in league 1 then back to league 2. So let’s enjoy the ride buy our tickets early. Pay our £2 a month subs and support the team the best way we can.

All managers (and players) have to prove themselves at new clubs. It is what they do at that club that matters, not what they have done elsewhere. We have seen many a player do well here after apparently stinking the place out elsewhere to know that an open mind in the first few weeks doesn't do any harm. GC seems to have been starting with a negative stack loaded against him as far as yourself goes though.
Don’t forget,the reason we have a new manager is because the previous one decided to up sticks and take half the back room team with him,i hope Gary Caldwell does well.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
My view about Caldwell is 50/50 but I am happy to give him time. I don’t agree with all his moves but our aim this season has to be stay in League 1. .As for moving forward I don’t really see how we can, we cannot compete with salaries of lower league 2 teams let alone league 1. I know Alfie Kilgour wanted to come to city but Mansfield and Newport offered more money, so as is usual with City we will last maximum 3 years in league 1 then back to league 2. So let’s enjoy the ride buy our tickets early. Pay our £2 a month subs and support the team the best way we can.
I suppose, the hindsight can't prove Taylor would have done better and cannot prove Caldwell has done worse. But with this squad, in my opinion he hs done worse, so far. Ultimately I just want to be sat here in a year or two in the championship going, well the only concern is how i justify me enjoying this to exeweb because I took an extreme position early on.

Right. see you Saturday evening following the FGR match.

larrywilkie

Screenshot 2023-01-12 102415.jpgWould MT have done better than this with the fixtures we've had in that time?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
So It sounds like we have two options - stay as we, be a L1/2 yo yo club and hope that academy sales fund the occasional promotion push OR do what that lot 40 miles W have done and sell out to a red blooded real Grecian with £s and contacts.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose, the hindsight can't prove Taylor would have done better and cannot prove Caldwell has done worse. But with this squad, in my opinion he hs done worse, so far. Ultimately I just want to be sat here in a year or two in the championship going, well the only concern is how i justify me enjoying this to exeweb because I took an extreme position early on.

Right. see you Saturday evening following the FGR match.
Taylor lost at home to Burton and Cheltenham. Your point?

Agent Andy

Caldwells a far better manager than Taylor and far more experienced .
By all accounts training has stepped up a notch or two and is a lot tougher , the back room team seem to have gelled together well and his man management skills are far superior to Taylor’s.
I mean look at the problems Taylor’s having at Rotherham , lost the dressing room already .

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
By all accounts training has stepped up a notch or two and is a lot tougher , the back room team seem to have gelled together well and his man management skills are far superior to Taylor’s.
I mean look at the problems Taylor’s having at Rotherham , lost the dressing room already .
Andy, why are you coming on here being so Objective telling the truth rather than spuddling half baked nonsense :)

Ash

I like your positivity and I hope your insights to the training and backroom team are correct, but it's surely far too early to definitively state that "Caldwell's a far better manager than Taylor"?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like your positivity and I hope your insights to the training and backroom team are correct, but it's surely far too early to definitively state that "Caldwell's a far better manager than Taylor"?
It appears to me that AA has first hand experience of both the current and the former manager and their practices. I think he is providing an objective overview of a wider picture which isn't the simplistic black or white points per game analysis and guess work that I would be contributing for example :)