• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Another new channel has sprung up on YouTube with highlights (and full matches) mainly from the late 80s/early 90s, and clearly the person behind the channel is a Liverpool supporter as they feature heavily. Recently put up, of City interest, was the MOTD from January 1990 including City vs Norwich.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another new channel has sprung up on YouTube with highlights (and full matches) mainly from the late 80s/early 90s, and clearly the person behind the channel is a Liverpool supporter as they feature heavily. Recently put up, of City interest, was the MOTD from January 1990 including City vs Norwich.
Name/link?

Oldsmobile-88

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

iscalad

Oldsmobile-88

A very wet Olympic Stadium, Munich. Crazy that the best team in the tournament by a mile did not win the competition. The heavy wet pitch suited the West Germans.

Wolverhampton butcher & FL Referee Jack Taylor having the balls to give a penalty in the first minute.
Taylor was known as someone not to be messed with whilst officiating. I loved the story about him being cut under the eye by a penny thrown at Kennilworth Rd(pre decimal penny) Eric Morecambe a Director of Luton at the time went into the refs room to apologise after the game & ask if Taylor was going to report it to the FL, Taylor said no. Morecambe thanked him & said “can I have my penny back ?” 🤣

Oldsmobile-88

The game that ultimately cost QPR the Football League Title in 1976. Horrendous defending.
Dave Sexton had assembled a very entertaining team.
A real shame that the Hoops did not pick up the title. Liverpool pipped them by a point, having their last game postponed because John Toshack was in the Wales team for the European Championship Q/F 2nd leg at Ninian Park on the last scheduled Saturday of the season, hence they knew they had to get a result at Molineux 10 days later. Liverpool, well the rest is history.

lamrobhero

The game that ultimately cost QPR the Football League Title in 1976. Horrendous defending.
A real shame that the Hoops did not pick up the title. Liverpool pipped them by a point, having their last game postponed because John Toshack was in the Wales team for the European Championship Q/F 2nd leg at Ninian Park on the last scheduled Saturday of the season, hence they knew they had to get a result at Molineux 10 days later. Liverpool, well the rest is history.

QPR signed Frank McLintock from Arsenal and David Webb from Chelsea. Mesmorised by Dutch Total Football they announced one pre season that they were going to play it out from the back via their centre halves. :) I remember seeing them a lot in mid week highlights I think because they were in Europe.

lamrobhero

I remember seeing Norwich at SJP around this time. The Grecian Archive mentions a League Cup tie in August 1976. But I remember the friendly the following year. Specifically Martin Peters ghosting in at the far post to put the ball wide. Norwich were also rumoured to be interested in signing Lammie Robertson after this game.

Oldsmobile-88

Carlisle’s only season in the top flight. They had a good start in 1974/75