• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Satanage Matchday Thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm explaining my own way of thinking when I watch games. Harris is not generally negative about City, usually fair, I'm just saying that I have to see that save as really positive like almost every City fan would. To say the striker shot it straight at him doesn't make sense. The striker has chosen that angle because he thinks Sinisalo will be sent the other way but he doesn't go that way. It isn't a mis-hit and it wasn't weakly struck.
He got a good contact on the ball but didn't get the required direction on it. A player 12 yards out with no defenders in his way should be scoring or making the keeper make a better save than the one he made.

grecIAN Harris

That's the thing, see.
I already support Exeter City and unlike you and some others I don't have another bigger team that usually win their games, so I make a point of not squeezing every drop of negativity I can from an incident in a game, especially if it favours us to begin with.
Who I watch or don't watch has got nothing to do with it, as a striker (and given that's where I played that's the first thing I look from in incidents like that) at whatever level I'm looking at and think that was a very poor finish, Vil shouldn't have been given an opportunity to save. It's not about negativity or whatever other waffle you want to apply to it, any two teams, a striker is through like that and he fails to score by hitting his effort more or less straight at the keeper it's a poor finish not a good save.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

The lad richards certainly has something about him,he played a great ball with the outside of his foot,so I hope he progresses into the team
He's filled out a lot since the start of the season when he looked, physically, a boy among men (which to be fair, he was). Now he looks like a young man among men.

fred binneys head

Rosencrantz

In those blustery conditions we were always going to have to show some good resilience against Stevenage and we did which, mixed in with some good ball retention in the second half against the wind, meant although Stevenage always carried a threat, they were not able to have any real periods of relentless pressure. The back three and Vil did their jobs to a tee. Woods and Carroll showed their experience and we always looked dangerous down the wings.

The goal was down to Sonny catching the keeper out for the second time in the half dawdling on a back pass and Reece did the rest. There wasn't a load of goalmouth action, unsurprisingly with our goal record and Stevenage coming in on the back of three 0-0's, but it was still a strangely watchable game.

Good that we can look to next season. Nice to give Alex a proper send off. Expect more changes on Tuesday with Sonny going off with a knock and Reece doesn't look too near 100% either. Would have gone with Sweenz as many of the match today but certainly not complaining with The Kaiser being picked out. I was a bit worried Franz was bowing out in a Stephen Morrow fashion when Sweenz got his head between his legs though 😉.

arthur

Aimson has been okay today, solid partnership back there with Hartridge
OK? He's been feckin massive

denzel

Expect more changes on Tuesday with Sonny going off with a knock and Reece doesn't look too near 100% either.
I agree, shame GC wasn't asked about it afterwards

arthur

An very good win against a difficult side. GC making Hartridge captain was another indication of what a fine manager he is, as was his decision to include and play Watts and Richards in a game, according to the ridiculous Vickery on RD and the children in the big bank who kept celebrating we were staying up, we needed to win to ensure our survival. A lovely send off for Alex, and his still very dodgy distribution means there won't be that many regrets.

Sweeney was extraordinary. I hadn't seen much of Watts before and assumed he was a bit of a Kegs, but delighted to discover he's not. The football at times was great, at other times it wasn't as passes went astray. Caldwell was right to highlight the failure too often to find the spare man when breaking out of the Stevenage press; most of the people behind me were saying much the same.

We've come along way since the winter solstice and we have the core of a very good team for next season. This is most excellent

Grecianpasty

I know this might be a stretch, but I really like Alis playing style. He's clearly not used to playing the number 9, but give him minutes and I think he will be great there. His hold up play is getting better, if he can just work on his timing, when to release the ball, then he will be a real asset next season. With Ali, Aitchson and Cox we have a solid foundation to that front three.

grecIAN Harris

I know this might be a stretch, but I really like Alis playing style. He's clearly not used to playing the number 9, but give him minutes and I think he will be great there. His hold up play is getting better, if he can just work on his timing, when to release the ball, then he will be a real asset next season. With Ali, Aitchson and Cox we have a solid foundation to that front three.
I think he needs time to adjust to the step up. He's very raw but very strong. It might take a bit of time and patience but I think we'll see our rewards from him.