• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last night was a typical international friendly, nothing to do with Southgate. If you throw 11 random players together against a side camped on the edge of their own box, that's what happens. International football is often a bit pedestrian and stodgy. You can't read anything into the game last night, it's a possibility that from that starting 11 only Pickford starts in the Euros.

I've said it for a long time, Watkins doesn't really suit the way England play. We set up to accommodate the fact that Kane comes to feet which releases the wide players, Watkins plays on the shoulder and for me it just doesn't work.

Kane made a big difference when he came on, a massive step up in quality.

I'd take Watkins to the euros, because there might be a situation in a game where a team is coming onto us and we could use him on the break, but in reality, if for whatever reason we lose Kane we aren't winning the Euros.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Last night was a typical international friendly, nothing to do with Southgate. If you throw 11 random players together against a side camped on the edge of their own box, that's what happens. International football is often a bit pedestrian and stodgy. You can't read anything into the game last night, it's a possibility that from that starting 11 only Pickford starts in the Euros.

I've said it for a long time, Watkins doesn't really suit the way England play. We set up to accommodate the fact that Kane comes to feet which releases the wide players, Watkins plays on the shoulder and for me it just doesn't work.

Kane made a big difference when he came on, a massive step up in quality.

I'd take Watkins to the euros, because there might be a situation in a game where a team is coming onto us and we could use him on the break, but in reality, if for whatever reason we lose Kane we aren't winning the Euros.
Trippier will start the Euro's as we have no left back and Tripps has filled in there many times for both club and country.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Trippier will start the Euro's as we have no left back and Tripps has filled in there many times for both club and country.
I think he'll start too, but it's a possibility that only Pickford will start from last nights side.

Either way, it was our second team and how people expect 11 players who are playing together for the first time to play with cohesion and rhythm is beyond me.

Reactions: WXF

Rosencrantz

Behind Rice and Bellingham, our best two midfielders are Mainoo and Wharton. I know he came on when things opened up a bit, but Wharton's movement, awareness, ability to pass forward and to take responsibility for getting the ball moving was way ahead of Gallagher and TAA. It's nothing flashy or eye catching -TAA can do those things but either can't/won't do the fundamentals of his position whether CM or RB which i find frustrating with such a great talent.

Players like Rice, Mainoo and Wharton make the team tick and transition the ball into areas where the attacking players can get on the ball in the final third rather than keep coming back to the half way line to pick the ball up as Eze and Palmer were having to do in the first half and then facing a wall in front of them. It was much easier for Grealish to get on the ball in threatening area in the second half because the ball was moved more efficiently and quicker.

Antony Moxey

Unfortunately last night and previous outings have shown Watkins just isn't an international player.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Behind Rice and Bellingham, our best two midfielders are Mainoo and Wharton. I know he came on when things opened up a bit, but Wharton's movement, awareness, ability to pass forward and to take responsibility for getting the ball moving was way ahead of Gallagher and TAA. It's nothing flashy or eye catching -TAA can do those things but either can't/won't do the fundamentals of his position whether CM or RB which i find frustrating with such a great talent.

Players like Rice, Mainoo and Wharton make the team tick and transition the ball into areas where the attacking players can get on the ball in the final third rather than keep coming back to the half way line to pick the ball up as Eze and Palmer were having to do in the first half and then facing a wall in front of them. It was much easier for Grealish to get on the ball in threatening area in the second half because the ball was moved more efficiently and quicker.
Agree re Wharton, first time I have seen him play and was really impressed.

Grecian Max

Personally think he will take both Watkins and Toney...

denzel

Personally think he will take both Watkins and Toney...
Yeah, that's the luxury of having a squad of 26.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately last night and previous outings have shown Watkins just isn't an international player.
The team is set up quite properly to provide service for Kane and no one else including Ollie and the fact is there is no one else again including Ollie who can replace him.

IMHO keeping Kane fit is crucial as without him we have little chance of progressing far beyond the group stage.

Last edited:

denzel

The team is set up quite properly to provide service for Kane and no one else including Ollie and the fact is there is no one else again including Ollie who can replace him.

IMHO keeping Kane fit is crucial as without him we have little chance of progressing far beyond the group stage.
You'll see a different game when Bellingham, Foden and Rice all start.