• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Memphis09

Behind Rice and Bellingham, our best two midfielders are Mainoo and Wharton. I know he came on when things opened up a bit, but Wharton's movement, awareness, ability to pass forward and to take responsibility for getting the ball moving was way ahead of Gallagher and TAA. It's nothing flashy or eye catching -TAA can do those things but either can't/won't do the fundamentals of his position whether CM or RB which i find frustrating with such a great talent.

Players like Rice, Mainoo and Wharton make the team tick and transition the ball into areas where the attacking players can get on the ball in the final third rather than keep coming back to the half way line to pick the ball up as Eze and Palmer were having to do in the first half and then facing a wall in front of them. It was much easier for Grealish to get on the ball in threatening area in the second half because the ball was moved more efficiently and quicker.
Sorry what about Foden and Gallagher played well last night

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry what about Foden and Gallagher played well last night
I mean holding/box to box/deeper midfielders rather than attacking midfielders like Foden. Notice I didn't include Cole Palmer or Ebereche Eze either who are the same positionally as Foden. I put Bellingham in because he is capable of playing anywhere in midfield and attack.

I respectfully disagree that Gallagher played well. He hardly progressed the ball at all, his movement and body position receiving the ball was average at best and he took too many touches and slowed the ball down, going back and sideways with no real purpose. The difference between him and Wharton was night and day. Wharton did exactly what you wanted from a No6.

I think Gallagher is a solid PL No8 and that was part of the problem as both him and Trent are 8's, it just didn't work with them last night but Trent has the ability to pick a pass that Gallagher doesn't. Ultimately he is behind a few in England terms in that position. Bellingham, Mainoo, Trent, give it 12 months and Curtis Jones will be ahead of him. The only good I see in Gallagher for England in this tournament is when you want to see the last 10 minutes out of a game and introduce some energy and closing down.

grecIAN Harris

The only good I see in Gallagher for England in this tournament is when you want to see the last 10 minutes out of a game and introduce some energy and closing down.
Connor Gallagher, fast becoming the new Jordan Henderson. I do hope it gets better for the lad. You wouldn't want him labelled The Cockney Carthorse.

STURTZ

You'll see a different game when Bellingham, Foden and Rice all start.
Disagree, if it was all just about putting the most valuable players on the pitch then PSG would have been CL champs for the last ten years.
England to stutter as far as the semis and then finally disappear up their own rectums as usual.

Stelios

Could really see the difference when Kane came on. Watkins had 2-3 defenders around him the whole time he was on but Kane avoided this by using his nouse/savvy to drop a bit deeper into space and England started to create chances from it (Grealish also benefited from this by overlapping) and we looked a different side

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disagree, if it was all just about putting the most valuable players on the pitch then PSG would have been CL champs for the last ten years.
England to stutter as far as the semis and then finally disappear up their own rectums as usual.
It's not about putting the most valuable players on the pitch, it's about putting our best players on the pitch.

You're talking like getting to a semi final is something to be ashamed of, it's not easy to win a tournament!

Never understand the negativity towards England.

sign of the chimes

It's not about putting the most valuable players on the pitch, it's about putting our best players on the pitch.

You're talking like getting to a semi final is something to be ashamed of, it's not easy to win a tournament!

Never understand the negativity towards England.
I've understood the negativity under some managers, and in relation to the personnel in some squads but think the Southgate regime has been amongst the most enjoyable on both fronts in my time as a supporter. I do appreciate the arguments that we might be missing out with Southgate in terms of his relative lack of experience when it comes to the crunch point in those games at the business end of tournaments, but he does seem to have created a culture in which England players appear to a) want to be there; b) feel free to express themselves as a result.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've understood the negativity under some managers, and in relation to the personnel in some squads but think the Southgate regime has been amongst the most enjoyable on both fronts in my time as a supporter. I do appreciate the arguments that we might be missing out with Southgate in terms of his relative lack of experience when it comes to the crunch point in those games at the business end of tournaments, but he does seem to have created a culture in which England players appear to a) want to be there; b) feel free to express themselves as a result.
People always see the negatives with England. We're a bit over-cautious and we come off second best in a couple of big games (big games we'd have previously been absolutely delighted to get to). People need to not take the team spirit for granted... it's not been a constant. Players usually miserable going away with England (or at least seemed that way), right up until Southgate took over.

STURTZ

Been miserable since 1970, hasn't let me down on the England front since then.
Germany to win, France runners up.

Grecian Max

Been miserable since 1970, hasn't let me down on the England front since then.
Germany to win, France runners up.
Germany 😂