• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here in Tivvy you would think only the Lib Dems are interested judging by what we are getting through the post and knocking on the door.

Grecian2K

This good news from the Telegraph has just popped up. Because it's behind a pay wall I can't read it, so if anyone can tell me what the "Brexit Dream" is, I'd be very grateful

View attachment 15815
Nightmare on Tufton Street?

iscalad

Had a leaflet from the Green. I was a good boy and have put it in the recycling.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that’s wrong.
I think people are beginning to see the potential societal issues that mass inward migration brings and would like to see the brakes put on.
BB, why do you think the Uniparty are consistently telling us they want to control immigration but when in office they do the opposite?
Because they know it wins votes but don't believe it's the source of our societal problems. It's disingenuous, I'll give you that.

Perception and reality are two very different things. This country's perception of everything (immigration include) is clouded by the dire state our personal finances are in.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad that a leaflet dropper/canvasser had to deal with this:

This is disgraceful. I hope the perputrator is given the full arm of the law on this.

angelic upstart

Because they know it wins votes but don't believe it's the source of our societal problems. It's disingenuous, I'll give you that.

Perception and reality are two very different things. This country's perception of everything (immigration include) is clouded by the dire state our personal finances are in.
Is this the same in the rest of the west as well? If so, is capitalism working as it should.

Mr Jinx

I’ve been in Turkey for two weeks, but on coming home and checking the mail i have received precisely… no election material from candidates. I had a Lib Dem leaflet before we left, seen nothing else.

Labour had a good chance in Bridgwater, can they not be arsed?
Had a leaflet through asking me to vote for Kate Osmanor.

You can probably guess what I did with that.

elginCity

This good news from the Telegraph has just popped up. Because it's behind a pay wall I can't read it, so if anyone can tell me what the "Brexit Dream" is, I'd be very grateful

View attachment 15815
Said he’s going to try and negotiate an easing of veterinary border checks, the cad.

Helping musicians work and tour in Europe too, the bounder.

The Brexit Dream doesn’t involve porous borders or free movement of any description. In Europe.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this the same in the rest of the west as well? If so, is capitalism working as it should.
Capitalism is not working as it should, because the inequality gap is getting wider and wider. EDIT: capitalism probably is working as it should, but our governance of it is not.

Those with the most money are looking to blame anything but their own wealth. Immigration is the obvious choice.

Despite my view on this, I'm not in total denial about how mass immigration can impact on communities. It's A problem, but not THE problem of our times.

Last edited:

DB9

Be careful who's canvassing on your behalf:

Reform UK have condemned campaigners for the party who were recorded making racist, homophobic and Islamophobic comments while campaigning to elect Nigel Farage as MP.

Undercover filming by Channel 4 News within the Reform UK campaign in Clacton, where Farage is standing for office, also uncovered an apparent admission the party has breached the local electoral campaign spending limit in the seat.

Alongside canvassers, the report also revealed comments by several of Farage's senior aides.

Reform UK said those making "unacceptable comments" will no longer be part of Farage's campaign.

Responding to the footage Farage said: "I am dismayed by the reported comments of a handful of people associated with my local campaign, particularly those who are volunteers.

"The appalling sentiments expressed by some in these exchanges bear no relation to my own views, those of the vast majority of our supporters or Reform UK policy. Some of the language used was reprehensible."