• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
How do make the idea which is good one, better executed?
We all want streets to be safe etc but these LTN's were not implemented properly, Not sure if the locals had chance to air their views or even consulted, Also with them being withdrawn soon after they were put in place shows they weren't working and affected people's lives.

iscalad

We all want streets to be safe etc but these LTN's were not implemented properly, Not sure if the locals had chance to air their views or even consulted, Also with them being withdrawn soon after they were put in place shows they weren't working and affected people's lives.
Since August is hardly soon
Anyway they're going next week.
Absolute waste of taxes.

Radio Free Skaro

Since August is hardly soon
Anyway they're going next week.
Absolute waste of taxes.
I'm not sure what the answer is.

Cars rule! and are very popular with car-owners (no sh!t) which is a sizeable and influential part of the population. I think any restriction on car use is going to go down badly with some.

Meanwhile, Exeter is choking with exhaust fumes (Heavitree fore street being the most polluted part of the City ) , congestion is at an all-time high in Exeter with it's rapidly booming population , many of which want to to use their motor vehicles to get around.

But 29,000 - 40,000 die prematurely every year in the UK due to traffic pollution and alongside this any substantial investment in electric vehicles is stalled...

Years of breathing traffic pollution increases death rates, study finds | Air pollution | The Guardian

angelic upstart

Not if you're trapped inside one
Couple of my pals had one outside their house. I just drove past it.

They loved it though.

Last edited:

iscalad

I'm not sure what the answer is.

Cars rule! and are very popular with car-owners (no sh!t) which is a sizeable and influential part of the population. I think any restriction on car use is going to go down badly with some.

Meanwhile, Exeter is choking with exhaust fumes (Heavitree fore street being the most polluted part of the City ) , congestion is at an all-time high in Exeter with it's rapidly booming population , many of which want to to use their motor vehicles to get around.

But 29,000 - 40,000 die prematurely every year in the UK due to traffic pollution and alongside this any substantial investment in electric vehicles is stalled...

Years of breathing traffic pollution increases death rates, study finds | Air pollution | The Guardian
The LTN pushed more traffic onto East Wonford Hill and Pinhoe Road.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are always many problems for any nation, ignoring one, which swathes of the west seem to be doing re immigration will only highlight this further.

Imagine, if a party said, we're stopping all non essential immigration. Then were elected. Then 200/300k immigrants were still arriving annually. This would force a change in the outlook of the nation, most likely to "retrofitting" the roles where these immigrants are required, or perhaps more importantly sorting out housing, or wages.
Imagine the smell if a Labour government does effectively reduce immigration 👀

Where would that leave the right?

And what more motivation could Labour possibly need?

tavyred

Imagine the smell if a Labour government does effectively reduce immigration 👀

Where would that leave the right?

And what more motivation could Labour possibly need?
Looks like legal immigration will reduce by half anyway over the next year or two, so if Labour don’t change anything they will get the bragging rights for that I’m sure.
It’ll be the problematic spectacle of the boat people that will be the issue for Labour from the get-go. Again, clearing the backlog (letting them all stay!) may give them some early kudos but that doesn’t solve the kernel of the issue which is 35-50K illegals thinking they can rock up here unannounced.
To answer your point, any Government that can restore the once quite basic state function of securing our borders will feel the benefits at the ballot box I’m sure.
I wish Yvette ‘refugees welcome here’ Cooper well in a difficult task. 😎

Mr Jinx

What's LTN?
Ha ha. Coming to a town/city near you very soon. Along with coach loads of migrants. Enjoy!

Mr Jinx

art was fast to laugh in my face having been affected by all this.

It's all funny until it happens to you of course.

Mr Jinx

Looks like legal immigration will reduce by half anyway over the next year or two, so if Labour don’t change anything they will get the bragging rights for that I’m sure.
It’ll be the problematic spectacle of the boat people that will be the issue for Labour from the get-go. Again, clearing the backlog (letting them all stay!) may give them some early kudos but that doesn’t solve the kernel of the issue which is 35-50K illegals thinking they can rock up here unannounced.
To answer your point, any Government that can restore the once quite basic state function of securing our borders will feel the benefits at the ballot box I’m sure.
I wish Yvette ‘refugees welcome here’ Cooper well in a difficult task. 😎
Starmer should scrap the current Border Force and put GP Surgery Receptionists in charge.