• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like legal immigration will reduce by half anyway over the next year or two, so if Labour don’t change anything they will get the bragging rights for that I’m sure.
It’ll be the problematic spectacle of the boat people that will be the issue for Labour from the get-go. Again, clearing the backlog (letting them all stay!) may give them some early kudos but that doesn’t solve the kernel of the issue which is 35-50K illegals thinking they can rock up here unannounced.
To answer your point, any Government that can restore the once quite basic state function of securing our borders will feel the benefits at the ballot box I’m sure.
I wish Yvette ‘refugees welcome here’ Cooper well in a difficult task. 😎
Hang on, hang on. Either legal immigration is a real problem, in which case the dramatic reduction of numbers under Labour will be societal and electoral win for them, or it's an overblown media scapegoat that's all about perception (the problematic spectacle of the boats), in which case all they do is need to manage that narrative.

Which is it?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hang on, hang on. Either legal immigration is a real problem, in which case the dramatic reduction of numbers under Labour will be societal and electoral win for them, or it's an overblown media scapegoat that's all about perception (the problematic spectacle of the boats), in which case all they do is need to manage that narrative.

Which is it?
Not sure of your point.
Two separate issues which can independent of each other be electorally problematic or indeed a positive.
Net legal migration is expected to reduce to around 200-300K per year and with Labour stating that they want to reduce immigration they will seek to use that for electoral advantage.
Labour also wants to end the channel crossings, so unless they can reduce it they can’t control the narrative on illegal migration.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure of your point.
Two separate issues which can independent of each other be electorally problematic or indeed a positive.
Net legal migration is expected to reduce to around 200-300K per year and with Labour stating that they want to reduce immigration they will seek to use that for electoral advantage.
Labour also wants to end the channel crossings, so unless they can reduce it they can’t control the narrative on illegal migration.
My point is that if immigration is as big a societal issue as is being claimed by the right, dramatically reducing the numbers will have a very positive effect on the electorate's lives. That will be electorally positive for Labour.

If the issue isn't really as problematic as is claimed, then the perception point will persist (regardless of any reduction). I guess we'll find out if the numbers do come down.

Mid Devon Grecian

I may be thinking this up but didn't Paul Heaton try to give all his future royalties from his housemartins days to the govt as additional tax and they refused.
I don’t know about that. I do know he puts money behind the bar of local (not chain) pubs in the towns where he’s playing a show. Top man.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
"EXCLUSIVE: We’ve gone undercover inside Nigel Farage’s Reform UK campaign in Clacton and found evidence of anti-migrant rhetoric, homophobia and one canvasser making racist and offensive remarks. As @DarshnaSoni reports."

Quelle surprise.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the case for First Past The Post.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quelle surprise.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the case for First Past The Post.
The long version is really awful, but unsurprising.

Resident Reformers, does this do anything to dampen your intentions to vote for this shower?

tavyred

Not really BB.
Odious characters like this often attach themselves to political parties unfortunately.
Labour is currently losing councillors and activists to Galloway’s crew because their latent antisemitism they feel would be served away from Labour.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really BB.
Odious characters like this often attach themselves to political parties unfortunately.
Labour is currently losing councillors and activists to Galloway’s crew because their latent antisemitism they feel would be served away from Labour.
That Andrew Parker chap is clearly an odious nutter, but have you heard the tone of Farage's actual campaign team in that longer video? That's the bit that would put me off, if I was a Reformer. That's their strategists. The actual party.

Last edited:

Trapdoor

WTF?!?!?!? Are you ok bro? You think this is normal?

Mr Jinx

WTF?!?!?!? Are you ok bro? You think this is normal?
The hatchet jobs coming from the Beeb & C4 are as ridiculous as they are inevitable. Latching on to little more than a bloke down the pub handing out leaflets (which could have been my son and his schoolmates). The bloke in question said himself he was a lifelong Tory, so to see the Conservative party clinging on to his every word is laughable. Treading the boards today - it's holding no sway and having no impact.

The uniparty, blob & establishment are running scared and lashing out like a cornered and frightened animal. Even the DT is putting out fear articles about the impending big change coming in France.

Popcorn time.... 🍿

Last edited: