• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He must have seen the writing on the wall by then.Certainly isn't the first player from the promotion winning squad to prefer a different challenge to what Caldwell is offering.
This is where misinformation becomes touted as fact. Alex was first offered a new deal under Matt Taylor and turned it down. Now you can try and spin anything you like about Gary but Alex leaving has naff all to do with him - end of

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is where misinformation becomes touted as fact. Alex was first offered a new deal under Matt Taylor and turned it down. Now you can try and spin anything you like about Gary but Alex leaving has naff all to do with him - end of
He didn't want to play for club after this season had finished.Taylor is no longer in charge,so it's nothing to do with him - end of.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He didn't want to play for club after this season had finished.Taylor is no longer in charge,so it's nothing to do with him - end of.
Forget your prejudice the rest of Exeweb have moved on the facts speak for themselves. Nothing to do with Gary - end of

sign of the chimes

I think Alex is a classy player - I once called him a Rolls Royce of as defender and I stick with that

You don't get many CBs in the lower two EFL divisions that have his ability

Ultimately a big loss for us, we have of course essentially replaced him already - but having good academy products out on the field (not Ben Seymour) is always a source of pride

At one point I hoped he could develop into a player that could be sold onto a Champ club, however he does retain holes in his gameplay so I'd expect a better League One club or Bristol Rovers to pick him up and continue to be a L1 player; think he won't ever quite reach the potential I think he has
I've seen him a few times and he's always looked like a player with a pretty high potential ceiling. When I've seen Hartridge Looks good on the ball and technically pretty competent - but with a few kinks to iron out, which have typically looked as though they're around strength/mentality/concentration. Would be interested to know if that's a fair assessment, though suspect I'm missing stuff?

He reminds me a bit of Christian Burgess (not just because of the hair) who Pompey signed in League 2 under Paul Cook and had five years with us before going off to Belgium and playing for a side fighting for honours in their top-flight; always looked a decent player when we signed him, but had been binned off by Peterborough and was a bit of a late developer - in terms of getting streetwise and a bit stronger, as well as developing the bits of his game that came more naturally.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forget your prejudice the rest of Exeweb have moved on the facts speak for themselves. Nothing to do with Gary - end of
No prejudice from me.I have always said that Caldwell has to prove that he is good enough to be manager of Exeter City.He has met some of his targets so far this season,enough to be given the benefit of the doubt for another year, but there are areas in his management that need considerable improvement.

Bridgy 81

I've seen him a few times and he's always looked like a player with a pretty high potential ceiling. When I've seen Hartridge Looks good on the ball and technically pretty competent - but with a few kinks to iron out, which have typically looked as though they're around strength/mentality/concentration. Would be interested to know if that's a fair assessment, though suspect I'm missing stuff?

He reminds me a bit of Christian Burgess (not just because of the hair) who Pompey signed in League 2 under Paul Cook and had five years with us before going off to Belgium and playing for a side fighting for honours in their top-flight; always looked a decent player when we signed him, but had been binned off by Peterborough and was a bit of a late developer - in terms of getting streetwise and a bit stronger, as well as developing the bits of his game that came more naturally.
I’ve always thought Alex and Ryley Towler who you picked up from Bristol City looked similar players to me.
But to be fair I’ve seen a lot more of the former than the latter.

exespur

Such a shame gutted to see him go 😭

sign of the chimes

I’ve always thought Alex and Ryley Towler who you picked up from Bristol City looked similar players to me.
But to be fair I’ve seen a lot more of the former than the latter.
We've not seen much of Towler. Came in last January and looked a real prospect; I think most expected him to play a lot this season, but was disappointing in our opening league fixture and fell down the pecking order very quickly - mainly BSM Trophy games for him this season. That said, he (Towler) looks like a bit of a Burgess-y type so perhaps I'm not too far out in my ass-guessment on Hartridge.

Beexfor

He must have seen the writing on the wall by then.Certainly isn't the first player from the promotion winning squad to prefer a different challenge to what Caldwell is offering.
Surely people don’t think the manager is anything to do with this - it’s cold hard cash and a career move to a club that can pay more in addition to a big fat signing on fee - I think we all would do the same in his shoes in the uncertain football world!! I think we have planned well and used him and Kite less as they are off at the end of this season.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely people don’t think the manager is anything to do with this - it’s cold hard cash and a career move to a club that can pay more in addition to a big fat signing on fee - I think we all would do the same in his shoes in the uncertain football world!! I think we have planned well and used him and Kite less as they are off at the end of this season.
When you leave a workplace where you have been for a long time,they are many factors involved that initiate that departure, that won't be any different for a footballer working at Exeter City.A few on here appear to be slightly over sensitive about that.