• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Mid Devon Grecian

I see that we missed the opportunity of pulling the required signatures at the AGM to call a Special General Meeting and the mood has got worse since I posted the above message. We have a home game on Tuesday, so there might be more than 200 Trust members in attendance who's be happy to put their name to paper.

One solution might be putting an exercise book on the real ale bar in the Centrespot with a label on the front saying "the Trust Members who have signed this book wish to call a Special General Meeting at the earliest opportunity". Inside there are four columns, the first column headed Number, with rows underneath starting at 1, next 2 etc, so at a glance those that need to can see the requite number of members have signed. Second column "Name", Third column "Trust Membership Number" and Fourth column "Signature". All that is needed is sufficient members that want change to sign the book, then a venue, time and a suitably worded agenda/proposal

I am sure democracy is quite easy and as I hinted at before, if there are insufficient signatures or the popular opinion on here gets voted down, the so be it. Action like this, pitch-fork free, might focus the minds of those elected Trustees into something more than an endless vote of confidence,
I’m not a real ale bar type of person but I’d pay a visit to sign the book if it was available. We do need to get organised if we’re to get beyond these pages.

tom_ecfc

Twitter poll that distinguishes between Trust and non-Trust members, not much difference in % wanting Gary gone.

IMG_0924.jpeg

GC IN = 17%
GC OUT = 83%

Note: Anyone can vote.

Mid Devon Grecian

At the time of his appointment things were going wrong off the field but we ha Danny Wilson who was reaping the damage done by another poor manager in Dean Saunders. Wilson had no, or very little money, to spend and was replaced by GC when we were still outside the relegation zone. Much to Wilson’s amazement , GC was given money in January and complet lee it by signing unbelievably poor players. We got relegated and the next season had an awful start we never recovered from, when GC was sacked the damage had been done.
Thanks, that’s useful. So he didn’t come into a good situation but maybe used his ‘smooth talk’ to reassure he could fix it. Would that be a fair summary?

Mid Devon Grecian

View attachment 13491

GC IN = 17%
GC OUT = 83%

Note: Anyone can vote.
yeah, a good further temperature check away from Exeweb.

we just need to get organised.

logman

Are you and Max one of the same, asking a pointless question that you know the answer to before drawing breath to say it?
That's a no then.

Gordon Dale

GC won’t be short of a penny or two. It’s not like we’re sacking someone who has been on minimum wage their whole life.

He has to go end off. I can’t see any valid argument for dragging this out until January. What do the board realistically expect to happen?

We’re not suddenly going to sign 2 strikers and everything be rosey.

The dressing room is gone. The players are gone. The fans are gone. Relegation beckons and years of drudge.

Everyone has had enough of this.

Act now.
SPOT ON.

IT AIN'T PERSONAL EXCEPT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE TO PAY TO WATCH AND FINANCIALLY SUPPORT , AS WELL AS VOLUNTARILY UNDERTAKE TASKS IN BEHALF OF ECFC THROUGH THICK AND THIN.

The Dressing Room has already dismissed GC. His current demeanour demonstrates he knows that. What GC could do to protect his future in football ( probably as an analyst number two ) is to walk with dignity.That is by far and away his strongest card. .GC has been here before he knows what he has to do.

On the player morale front ..., and on further reflection, I did detect an under-current as such at last season's End of Year Awards Dinner. In a way it may well have been partly reflected in Jevani being voted 'The Players Player of 2022/23 ?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you and Max one of the same, asking a pointless question that you know the answer to before drawing breath to say it?
You already know the answer to your question too 😂

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Just dipping in. Is he still here?

thistle123

I’m interested to know if there were any mitigating factors at your respective clubs e.g. boardroom or financial turmoil?

Was there something not right as you’d lost your previous managers or did they go on to bigger jobs like Matt Taylor did with us?
Thistle had been relegated. Form was mediocre although we had a decent squad. He came in and ripped everything up and started afresh. Many of his signings were truly awful. Murmurings from the dressing room were that he just wasn't at the races. A lot of flip charts and mindfulness but players were blowing out their ar*es after 60 minutes.
Tactics were non existent.
Substitutions baffling.
No plan B when needed.
The players weren't playing for him.
Taking players on team building with the sas then as a surprise having one of the younger boys kidnapped and thrown in a van.. this was supposed to be character building. The lad was allegedly troubled by this for a while.
Got rid of a club legend (who is now manager).the player found out from the media.
The players chucked it.
New manager came in and during interviews says that the club was left in a terrible state which is unusual to hear that sort of condemnation among managers.
Apparently interviews very well and talks a good game. Unfortunately can't manage one.. he rarely lasts a year.

Gordon Dale

A Spireite here who equally suffered. We feel their pain.
Thank you both. At the end of the day football is all about genuine supporters. As such we recognise that our team won't win every match.

All we ask is that the players give of their best and don't besmirch a club that has been kept alive over a century by some fantastic people . That isn't happening under GC who apparently has form for losing the dressing room at other clubs he's managed. 9-0, 7-0, 6-0 , 5-0 ....every team has a bad day but a pattern of behaviour on the pitch is now quite clear. I remember seeing City lose 6-1 at Roots Hall back in the sixties when Alan Banks (!) was playing ...and had to endure the chanting of the locals 'Wheel em in Blues' !!! BUT ..... DESPITE THE HEAVY DEFEAT CITY NEVER GAVE UP. GC's TEAM HAS AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM...... ALONG WITH AN INDECISIVE BOARD. IF CITY LOSE TO SHREWSBURY AND NOTHING IS DONE THIS WEEK BOTH GC AND THE BOARD COULD WELL EVENTUALLY GO DOWN TOGETHER.