• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree that we have to get behind the team. I'll never forget that late Harley goal v Huddersfield. Who cares that we just scraped by, the atmosphere and support was as good as I've ever known it!

Ashford Grecian

Agree that we have to get behind the team. I'll never forget that late Harley goal v Huddersfield. Who cares that we just scraped by, the atmosphere and support was as good as I've ever known it!
was like a promotion party that day

Grecian Max

That team showed a lot of fight in a season where a lot of them had jumped two divisions. Playing out of their skin in a level above where most of them should have been.

It was fun to watch, particularly George Friend being parachuted in and being the difference maker. And we beat Leeds at home in a storming performance. Would never, ever see that sort of performance from a GC team, unless he evolves signifcantly.

Anyway, back to passively watching passing routines all game 😴😴

Last edited:

Grecian Max

was like a promotion party that day
Goes down as one of the best ever... the relief when Harley smacked that into the bottom corner...

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC can keep us up, he can maybe even improve us next year but I don't think I'm ever going to be fully on board with this style of play.
I find it difficult to separate out the idea from the execution. As for watching this season, it's a meaningless distinction, but in terms of hope going forward, it matters a bit whether Caldwellball done well is hard on the eye, or just when it's done badly. Do you think you'd be left cold by his big season at Wigan? I've found most of the season stultifying, but the good bits are good. Is the plan to do more of that? Or find a way to increase the points haul from games that are as hard to get excited about as most have been this season?

InMyBlood

From a ball lumped down the pitch by Jones.
But it's all about possession eh?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
From a ball lumped down the pitch by Jones.
But it's all about possession eh?
If you're suggesting a move to route one football then I'm out :love:

Grecian Max

I've found most of the season stultifying, but the good bits are good.
This where we differ a little, I don't think the good bits have been that "good"

Early season form was surprising I thought perhaps there was more to come but I found it a pretty tough watch

I remember being shot down for saying that exact thing about the Stevenage game

Last season I was more optimistic with our hybrid GC/MT side - perhaps once Caldwell gets in more bodies in the summer this season disjointed effort might make more sense. I know the pro-GC voices say that this is part of the process, well - lets see.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
This where we differ a little, I don't think the good bits have been that "good"

Early season form was surprising I thought perhaps there was more to come but I found it a pretty tough watch

I remember being shot down for saying that exact thing about the Stevenage game

Last season I was more optimistic with our hybrid GC/MT side - perhaps once Caldwell gets in more bodies in the summer this season disjointed effort might make more sense. I know the pro-GC voices say that this is part of the process, well - lets see.
Rovers away, Barnsley away, Reading first half at home, etc. If this is something like how Caldwell wants us to regularly play, then I think we'd be entertained if he could deliver it. Massive if, obviously. It's been unwatchable, a lot of this season... Just not sure if the ideal has in his head that we rarely glimpse is boring even in perfect form.

*Appreciate that "etc" is carrying quite a load

C j phill

The critical issue will be the Summer recruitment. If he can sign enough players for the squad to deliver his preferred style of play, it may prove successful. My difficulty is that I can well remember Gerry Francis trying to play top level football in the equivalent of league 1, with league 2 quality players, and that didnt turn out well.