• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Collins was also awful, yes
I'm so glad I don't watch the same games as you.

Bridgy 81

Not disrespectful in the slightest. Just trying to understand such a dip in form.
You said you wondered whether Archie “has a transfer deal in his pocket already” and if that “might help explain his half hearted performances recently”.
You are implying that he’s at best not focused and at worst not trying.
That’s disrespectful.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
losing Nombe after today won’t make me lose any sleep. Trust GC to bring in decent improvements
You’ve seen James Scott?!*
*This is slightly tongue in cheek. I’m not writing off Scott yet, but, on the basis of what we’ve seen so far, I’d choose Nombe over him every day of the week and twice on match days.

Rosencrantz

You’ve seen James Scott?!*
*This is slightly tongue in cheek. I’m not writing off Scott yet, but, on the basis of what we’ve seen so far, I’d choose Nombe over him every day of the week and twice on match days.
Nombe has proven himself over a decent amount of time so hardly a big call. The thing about James Scott is what he is potentially capable of. He came close to scoring the equaliser today with a tidy bit of footwork, persistence and a decent shot after some good work from Sonny. We have to forget he is 6"2'. He isn't an old fashioned target man and probably never will be. He wants the ball at his feet and looks to be a decent and calm finisher who can hold the ball up well on the floor. The question is, does he want to grasp the opportunity and give himself the best chance? His career is going one way otherwise. This is going to be a big pre season for him to prove to GC (and the many doubters) that he can realise that potential.

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Tuesday will see James and Sonny starting. Sam and Jay both looked to be struggling fitness wise.

Bat Fastard

Nombe has proven himself over a decent amount of time so hardly a big call. The thing about James Scott is what he is potentially capable of. He came close to scoring the equaliser today with a tidy bit of footwork, persistence and a decent shot after some good work from Sonny. We have to forget he is 6"2'. He isn't an old fashioned target man and probably never will be. He wants the ball at his feet and looks to be a decent and calm finisher who can hold the ball up well on the floor. The question is, does he want to grasp the opportunity and give himself the best chance? His career is going one way otherwise. This is going to be a big pre season for him to prove to GC (and the many doubters) that he can realise that potential.

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Tuesday will see James and Sonny starting. Sam and Jay both looked to be struggling fitness wise.
I’m sure he does want it, it’s wether he’s capable…his previous goal scoring stats would suggest he’s never been a prolific finisher. Cox would be a better alternative to nombe to me

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football's a funny old game.

We went better than toe to toe with the team 2nd in the league for 70 minutes. Lions share of the possession, loads of commitment and the better of the few chances. If we'd scored and won that 1-0, I'd wager that some of the individual performances that are getting a bit of stick on here would have been lauded instead.

It hurts because it's Argyle, but I thought that pretty much everyone put a decent shift in today.

My biggest beef was with GC throwing on Scott & Sonny without taking Stanno or Nombe off. Seemed a bit brainless and a bit desperate. We lost all shape - there's no point in having 4 strikers on the pitch if you can't fashion a chance for them.

Grecian Max

I'm so glad I don't watch the same games as you.
Did you think Collins put in a good shift?

Grecian Max

Football's a funny old game.

We went better than toe to toe with the team 2nd in the league for 70 minutes. Lions share of the possession, loads of commitment and the better of the few chances. If we'd scored and won that 1-0, I'd wager that some of the individual performances that are getting a bit of stick on here would have been lauded instead.

It hurts because it's Argyle, but I thought that pretty much everyone put a decent shift in today.

My biggest beef was with GC throwing on Scott & Sonny without taking Stanno or Nombe off. Seemed a bit brainless and a bit desperate. We lost all shape - there's no point in having 4 strikers on the pitch if you can't fashion a chance for them.
I was saying at 15 mins in we really need to get that early goal and it didn't come. We were all over them at the beginning, if Mitchell got that ball through the keepers legs it's a different game completely.

However, we did lose it and none of our midfield were very good today from 20 minutes onwards.

As an aside, although it's a team game clearly individual performances count. You can't mention someone having a bad game on here without the white knights coming into defend, Kegs was genuinely poor today and I'm amazed anyone who's been watching football for a long time would think otherwise. I don't hate the guy, he was just crap.

Grecianpasty

Today was very poor in quality, with both teams. Both midfields where completely non existent, and I was amazed to see that both teams looked to play long. The difference being, they played it direct to Cosgrove (who was dreadful) whereas we looked to play the channels, which very nearly worked.

I'm not too disappointed in the result, seeing as how we lost to the top of the league. I'm more disappointed in our naivety with and without the ball. We needed Mcdonald in there to slow things down, and bring Kite and Collins more into play, although ironically Kegs was the better of the three today.

We need to move on quickly, and thankfully Tuesdays game will be a special game.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an aside, although it's a team game clearly individual performances count. You can't mention someone having a bad game on here without the white knights coming into defend, Kegs was genuinely poor today and I'm amazed anyone who's been watching football for a long time would think otherwise. I don't hate the guy, he was just crap.
Honestly I didn't think Kegs did badly at all. If anything we began to lose our shape when he was replaced by White - the first of a bizarre set of substitutions by GC.