• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Maybe it's time to seriously think about moving on from using gas.
Do we all need to think about solar panels on our roof again?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Standing Charge in the price cap from April works out at £22 a month(dual fuel bill) 😳😳

A Hidden cost of £68 in the typical energy bill is for failed gas suppliers in 2021 plus £18 for the Smart Meter roll out((if you have one or not)

View attachment 7837
Many thanks for that information mate - I had been looking, without success, for a breakdown of the "cap" like that. The hike in the electricity standing charge seems especially egregious!!! :eek:. No wonder there seems to be an apparent reluctance to make this sort of level of detail widespread.

Give me a great baseline to compare our own quotes for 2022-3.

Mr Jinx

Well yes, there does come a tipping point whereby the large cost of installing and maintaining panels becomes cheaper in the long run than keeping gas/electric.

I think we've gone past that tipping point now.

angelic upstart

I still can't believe David Cameron couldn't find the money to build Hinkley Point C but managed to find the money for other pointless projects. We should be controlling of our own supplies. Appreciate if your country does not has Gas there's not much you can do about it. Maybe it's time to seriously think about moving on from using gas.

What do you think the current government are doing with Sizewell and Bradwell?

angelic upstart

Well yes, there does come a tipping point whereby the large cost of installing and maintaining panels becomes cheaper in the long run than keeping gas/electric.

I think we've gone past that tipping point now.

Almost certainly, if you can chuck a battery in the loft, you will almost certainly be saving a chunk of change.

Mr Jinx

I still can't believe David Cameron couldn't find the money to build Hinkley Point C but managed to find the money for other pointless projects. We should be controlling of our own supplies. Appreciate if your country does not has Gas there's not much you can do about it. Maybe it's time to seriously think about moving on from using gas.
Our short sightedness with regards to Nuclear energy (or was it cowardice?) back in the 70s/80s/90s is now coming home to roost.

We should've taken the road France did. Too late now of course.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really don't understand why all new build commercial and residential properties aren't forced to have solar panels installed as part of planning permission.

elginCity

Really don't understand why all new build commercial and residential properties aren't forced to have solar panels installed as part of planning permission.
Off topic, but in the same vein.... don't understand why motorway/dual carriageway speed limits haven't been reduced.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Actually I do know why. It's because politicians are in the pocket of the energy companies and always have been.

Oldsmobile-88

If only it were this windy more often.