• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Utter nonsense.

Legohead

Banned
Burton were (and still are) an extremely well run and level headed club and are an example of how a club can steadily progress with a small ground and a small fanbase. The main reason for this is not being idiots and wasting their money on naff players willy nilly and then finding themselves in the brown stuff because they've overspent and underachieved.

They will never be able to get any higher than they have been because for that to happen would require further significant investment in the playing side which the club simply don't have the money for even if they wanted to. There is no reason why Exeter can't do a Yeovil or a Burton but it requires a huge slice of good fortune as well as prudent management on and off the field.

Fans of most clubs at lower levels would claim their owners have no ambition but i'm surprised that some Exeter fans want further expenditure on the playing side even if it means spending money unwisely and frivolously. Especially given what happened when the fans saved the club and especially seeing what happens at other clubs when this is allowed to happen. Torquay for example. Or maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick with this.

Reading between the lines i get the impression that some fans believe there is the money available to spend without putting the club at risk and also i get the impression that some think there are people running the club who seem to be doing very well for themselves without actually giving a lot back or taking calculated risks to try and kick the football club onto the next level. I could be totally incorrect and these are not my views but the feeling i get from some on here. Please do correct me if i'm way off the mark.

Last edited:

dontpassback

Burton Albion are indeed a well run club,they don’t panic,they don’t sack managers at the drop of a hat and are a good example of what a club should be,however they are only 12 miles from derby so they can get players without the travel hassle because they are obviously based in the East Midlands,that said it takes nothing away from their achievements starting from non league and doing well in the football league,so their is much to admire.as regards the goalkeeper scenario it seems to me that modern keepers don’t come off their line as quickly as they used too,come out and narrow the angle,but perhaps that has changed with modern coaching,it just an observation.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Without wishing to take this thread too far off topic Burton Albion can and do attract quality players simply because they (Burton) use St George's Park training pitches, indoors and out on a daily basis. Players have been taken there, seen what their workplace will be, and signed the forms.

crocks

Looked like a bit of a handball involved with Stockleys second......

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Looked like a bit of a handball involved with Stockleys second......
Makes up for the idiot ref not giving us a penalty then when he was pulled down within 6 ft of him !

PeteUSA

Having looked at the highlights again I'm going to revise my comment about Pym earlier in the thread. I believe the second goal he could have come for. A taller, more dominant keeper in the air would have simply come out and collected that corner but I have to consider the fact that this area of his game isn't his strongest and I accept that.
You're a man with the courage of your convictions Lego; the first one to tell it like it really was. The only thing I wouldnt do is bring his stature into the equasion. Theres nothing he can do about that.

Legohead

Banned
You're a man with the courage of your convictions Lego; the first one to tell it like it really was. The only thing I wouldnt do is bring his stature into the equasion. Theres nothing he can do about that.
Obviously Pete. ;)

I was more pointing out that their corner was delivered into an area whereby ANY keeper regardless of stature should have been coming for it. A taller, more physically robust keeper would have found it easier but anyway. I perhaps think the defender (unsure who it was) was half expecting Pym to come out and when he didn't he reacted too late and suddenly found Yorkwerth clambering all over him. No complaints overall though about Pym. Love the bloke. Great keeper at this level IMO.

We have to accept that Pym has strong points and not so strong points and i do.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
...The only thing I wouldn't do is bring his stature into the equasion. Theres nothing he can do about that.
There's always something you can do ...
football boot.png

Obviously Pete. ;)

I was more pointing out that their corner was delivered into an area whereby ANY keeper regardless of stature should have been coming for it. A taller, more physically robust keeper would have found it easier but anyway. I perhaps think the defender (unsure who it was) was half expecting Pym to come out and when he didn't he reacted too late and suddenly found Yorkwerth clambering all over him. No complaints overall though about Pym. Love the bloke. Great keeper at this level IMO.

We have to accept that Pym has strong points and not so strong points and i do.
Whilst my view of things from the BB could be compromised by distance and eyesight (and memory) I seem to recall an earlier corner for them from the same flag which was sent quite deep and their guy had an unchallenged head back to provide a half-volley shooting chance for someone running unopposed on the angle towards the corner of the 6 yard box. Nothing came of it then but that should have highlighted a warning that they would probably try the same tactic again-which they did but this time matey just nodded it in from a stupidly close distance as has been pointed out. So who is the skipper tasked with being our tactical genius on the field of play-on the assumption that Tisdale hardly ever sends out instructions from his technical area?