• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Future with Flybe?

downthetrack

Tap up Ikea the next big firm to have a store in the City.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I imagine the Chiefs will be all over IKEA in regard sponsorship, advertising hoardings etc, since their new store is just down the road.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, but aren't the FA looking at this?
One would like to think so - UEFA even investigated Man City over it but turned a blind eye.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to have seen Bristol Rovers try this in the late 90s when Ikea opened a store (to huge local opposition) on the old Eastville site!

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
You'll find nowadays a lot of naming rights issues for stadiums tend to be fronts for the owners chucking in money through the back door. E.g. The Lamex (Stevenage), the One Call Stadium (Mansfield). And, er, the Etihad...!
There are some (as you point out) where that could be true, but also plenty where it is not, such as The JD Stadium (Bury). Not that the deal there is worth anything like the figure RW suggests we could achieve.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have thought the Chiefs were more closely identified with their target customer base. Apart from being right next door.

Our advantage is that we would be a lot cheaper.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
As much as naming rights bring in money, it's not something I like. You lose the identity of ground, I couldn't get used to calling Huddersfields ground Galpharm, as always knew it as McAlpine, now it's the John Smiths Stadium.

However, sentiment doesn't pay the bills and if that's what it takes to bring in some revenue, then so be it.

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Sell the stadium naming rights, get sponsorship over the players socks, pants, you name it, just get some bloody money in.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think it's the only way, but isn't there a limit to how many sponsors you can have on a kit, or did I dream that?

Grecian_Jay

Dunno, seems some clubs seem to have about 14 on their kit. Doesn't matter if it's a £100 a pop, just get any extra in.