• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jamille Matt was a bored joke but some serious source tells me Hartridge to Rovers.
Same source isn't it?

Smithyno6

Time will tell

One for Mr Exiled
Club's have always been taken over and some have and will overtake us and some won't. A few years ago it was Crawley, Fleetwood and the like that were going to far and away overtake clubs like us and we'd all be resigned to Conference/National League football for eternity.

Look at them now. Much and a way ahead of us? Don't think so.

Now because a club or two have been overtaken and are chucking money at it, the same is destined to happen. Are Carlisle going to be lightyears ahead of us in 10 years time, who knows - maybe, maybe not. But nobody can say for certain.

By my count (Wiki - so happy to be corrected by more accurate information) there are eight or nine clubs majority owned by Americans in League's One and Two, and of those Club's - Portsmouth (bigger than us anyway) have never been overly frivolous outside of their means since Eisner came in, Walsall work within their means, Wycombe don't splash cash everywhere, Crawley tried it and have been a mess, Barnsley (far bigger than us anyway) are big spenders, but only within their means, Gillingham tried it, could argue a work in progress although hardly plundering through League 2, Sutton - languishing at the bottom. So not quite sure where the 'particularly from the states' part of your point is backed up, unless you're including Americans investing in Chelsea and Liverpool too.

Wrexham are Wrexham, you're always going to get a few of these takeovers and good on them, it's bringing them success and many people wish it was their team but those owners are more the exception than the rule.

Yes, the Academy may not always make us the money it currently does forever, but that's the same with any income stream. (Playing devil's advocate) You could fold the Academy and invest all your money in paying fees for young prospects outside of the Club, develop them and sell them on for profit - but there's no guarantee that that works forever. Whatever you think is the alternative, it will always have its risks.

Get outside investment in from the States if you like, but that is no guarantee of future success or development. If there is a proposal to be listened to, I think most fans, even those with the most staunch support of Trust Ownership, would listen to it and then it would be something to weigh up against its pros and cons.

All clubs should always be looking at things from two perspectives:
1) How to do the best we can in the short term with what we have and how can we maximise that.
2) How can we progress and develop for the future so that we can still be competitive long term.

But there's no right way and wrong way and it'll never be that simple.

There will always be a discrepancy between what some clubs can do and what others can do - that's just the way things work. The club's job is to limit those discrepancies and make up the shortfall in areas that others don't. Sometimes it'll do it poorly and sometimes it'll do it brilliantly. Sometimes those with money will spend money well, sometimes they won't.

We can be better and everyone is willing us to be better (on and off the pitch) but the reality of the situation is not that we are moving backwards with every other EFL club moving the miles in the opposite direction.

PeteUni1984_7

I can see it, out of contract in the summer. It's a shame if it happens, but for his own sake it would be better for his career right now.
Swap for jevani

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don’t open your mouth and say it in the first place then.
So what is wrong with speaking the truth

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swap for jevani
No thanks MT not playing him and when needing someone to equalise last night he did not bring him on leaving him on the bench surely says it all

STURTZ

Muskwe coming back? i’ve heard it all. 😀

that blokes performance at Fleetwood was appalling IMO why would we ever want him to return is beyond me.

no disrespect to the lad i’m sure he’s a nice bloke etc and will probably prove me to be completely wrong but that performance was as unforgivable as you’ll see at professional level in terms of effort.

All the pre transfer window talk from Hawker & Caldwell is simply not being backed up by the club in terms of excitement , news or more importantly actual players arriving…

we may well stay up in league 1 come May regardless of incomings or outgoings but either way the way this season has turned panned out has been so unenjoyable in pretty much every aspect.

I remember watching Jay Stansfield bang in a hat trick back end of last season, it was a warm afternoon we played good football and the atmosphere and vibe around the club and the ground was really good and an environment i decided to introduce my 7 year old lad too and he loved he wanted to support his local team.

The last 2 games i’ve taken him too he’s said “he’s bored” and wants to go home…

it’s such a shame we didn’t kick on.
My dad took me to see City when I was 7, we were shit but I loved it. Years of re election and hanging around the bottom of div. 4, waited 12 years for a promotion, beleive me we were poor, but never considered going anywhere else.
Tell your boy to man up or buy him a Liverpool scarf and get him into sitting on a settee and watching Premier League on telly like all the rest!

Last edited:

PeteUni1984_7

No thanks MT not playing him and when needing someone to equalise last night he did not bring him on leaving him on the bench surely says it all
Idolised at SJP, fringe player at Rovers. That would be the difference. Still need a striker to feed off him though

Grecian Max

Club's have always been taken over and some have and will overtake us and some won't. A few years ago it was Crawley, Fleetwood and the like that were going to far and away overtake clubs like us and we'd all be resigned to Conference/National League football for eternity.

Look at them now. Much and a way ahead of us? Don't think so.

Now because a club or two have been overtaken and are chucking money at it, the same is destined to happen. Are Carlisle going to be lightyears ahead of us in 10 years time, who knows - maybe, maybe not. But nobody can say for certain.

By my count (Wiki - so happy to be corrected by more accurate information) there are eight or nine clubs majority owned by Americans in League's One and Two, and of those Club's - Portsmouth (bigger than us anyway) have never been overly frivolous outside of their means since Eisner came in, Walsall work within their means, Wycombe don't splash cash everywhere, Crawley tried it and have been a mess, Barnsley (far bigger than us anyway) are big spenders, but only within their means, Gillingham tried it, could argue a work in progress although hardly plundering through League 2, Sutton - languishing at the bottom. So not quite sure where the 'particularly from the states' part of your point is backed up, unless you're including Americans investing in Chelsea and Liverpool too.

Wrexham are Wrexham, you're always going to get a few of these takeovers and good on them, it's bringing them success and many people wish it was their team but those owners are more the exception than the rule.

Yes, the Academy may not always make us the money it currently does forever, but that's the same with any income stream. (Playing devil's advocate) You could fold the Academy and invest all your money in paying fees for young prospects outside of the Club, develop them and sell them on for profit - but there's no guarantee that that works forever. Whatever you think is the alternative, it will always have its risks.

Get outside investment in from the States if you like, but that is no guarantee of future success or development. If there is a proposal to be listened to, I think most fans, even those with the most staunch support of Trust Ownership, would listen to it and then it would be something to weigh up against its pros and cons.

All clubs should always be looking at things from two perspectives:
1) How to do the best we can in the short term with what we have and how can we maximise that.
2) How can we progress and develop for the future so that we can still be competitive long term.

But there's no right way and wrong way and it'll never be that simple.

There will always be a discrepancy between what some clubs can do and what others can do - that's just the way things work. The club's job is to limit those discrepancies and make up the shortfall in areas that others don't. Sometimes it'll do it poorly and sometimes it'll do it brilliantly. Sometimes those with money will spend money well, sometimes they won't.

We can be better and everyone is willing us to be better (on and off the pitch) but the reality of the situation is not that we are moving backwards with every other EFL club moving the miles in the opposite direction.
Good post

Sacking Caldwell would be a start

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
My dad took me to see City when I was 7, we were shit but I loved it. Years of re election and hanging around the bottom of div. 4, waited 12 years for a promotion, beleive me we were poor, but never considered going anywhere else.
Tell your boy to man up or buy him a Liverpool scarf and get him into sitting on a settee and watching Premier League on telly like all the rest!
don’t tell me how to parent or talk to my children Sturtz - that’s out of order.