• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

If Cureton leaves...

jr1871

Ah I see your logic you would rather we based our strikeforce on someone whose record is 1 in 5 vs Nardiello whose record is 1 in 4 (and at a better level)!!
If you want to make a really weak point by wrongly infering from my post then fine...The implication, clearly I thought, was that Bowditch would be a better option than Nardiello as our number 2 striker, and would improve again on our squad. As you are so well informed, then surely you know that Bowditch has spent some time on the wings, and has started less than 50% of his matches in a c/f position. Hence a reasonable, but not brilliant goals/minutes ratio. He also scored well last year in a much worse team than us, that wasn't noted for creating a lot of chances.

For his age, Nardiello has spent a very small amount of time actually playing football. But plenty seem content to rely on him, O'Flynn, and legend Logie as our strike force for next year. Big mistake IMHO.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Logie/Cureton was citys best partnership last season.

Logie took all the pressure off Cureton , to allow him to do what he does best , make clever runs and sniff out goals in the 18 yard box.

I like Nardiello , but IMO he aint in the same class as Cureton.

Willy Nilly

Good Jamie Cureton, hello Kevin Phillips.

jr1871

Good Jamie Cureton, hello Kevin Phillips.
T'would be nice Willy Nilly, but WCBAP, as we say on another board I go on!

John William

It's a fairly pointless exercise arguing about the merits of various strikers, as our opinions are just that, opinions, and Nardiello and Cureton are different types of player.

But factually (and I have already posted on two other threads the stats on this), Cureton scored more goals than Nardiello last season only because he played twice as much, as Tis tended to pick him and Logan. Nardiello was by a significant margin our best striker in terms of goals in relation to time on the pitch, and would arguably have scored 20 goals if he'd been given the same amount of game time as Cureton.

Nardiello is also also (in my opinion) our most skillful player now Harley has left. He can do things most other players at L1 level can't, witness his goals in the league game at the Gas and at Arg*** in the JPT.

I hope Cureton does sign on for another year but I don't share the view that we're doomed if he doesn't.

Grecian_Jay

If you want to make a really weak point by wrongly infering from my post then fine...The implication, clearly I thought, was that Bowditch would be a better option than Nardiello as our number 2 striker, and would improve again on our squad. As you are so well informed, then surely you know that Bowditch has spent some time on the wings, and has started less than 50% of his matches in a c/f position. Hence a reasonable, but not brilliant goals/minutes ratio. He also scored well last year in a much worse team than us, that wasn't noted for creating a lot of chances.

For his age, Nardiello has spent a very small amount of time actually playing football. But plenty seem content to rely on him, O'Flynn, and legend Logie as our strike force for next year. Big mistake IMHO.
Spot on with all that. Bowditch is class and finished the seaosn extremely well. There would be no reason why we couldn't play them both anyway either side of a decent striker through the middle.

dommers

As you are so well informed, then surely you know that Bowditch has spent some time on the wings, and has started less than 50% of his matches in a c/f position.

For his age, Nardiello has spent a very small amount of time actually playing football.
I have no idea about where Bowditch players as I only watch Yeovil 1/2 times a year although if plays so much on the wing then perhaps he's not as automatic a choice as striker so we should look elsewhere. Perhaps you go more regularly to watch Yeovil. Nardiello also played a reasonable number of games as a wide player which you seem to have forgotten. I don't really care about his age although I do know that Nardiello has scored goals in the Championship and would probably be there now if he hadn't been injury prone. Has Bowditch played in the Championship and I'im sure if he is as good as people seem think then I'm sure he'll get picked up by a Championship club and we wouldn't be able to complete with their wages.

Last edited:

jr1871

It's a fairly pointless exercise arguing about the merits of various strikers, as our opinions are just that, opinions, and Nardiello and Cureton are different types of player.

But factually (and I have already posted on two other threads the stats on this), Cureton scored more goals than Nardiello last season only because he played twice as much, as Tis tended to pick him and Logan. Nardiello was by a significant margin our best striker in terms of goals in relation to time on the pitch, and would arguably have scored 20 goals if he'd been given the same amount of game time as Cureton.

Nardiello is also also (in my opinion) our most skillful player now Harley has left. He can do things most other players at L1 level can't, witness his goals in the league game at the Gas and at Arg*** in the JPT.

I hope Cureton does sign on for another year but I don't share the view that we're doomed if he doesn't.
Hi John, its NOT factual though is it? Whats to say (unlikely I agree) that if DN had played EVERY minute of the season you can be sure he would have scored any more goals? You can't. Simple. Rather than maybe, lets stick to facts I reckon...Agree, they are different types of strikers, but as a goalscorer, over an equivelent period from (i.e DN's first season, 2001/2) he has scored a league goal at 4.3 games per goal, Cureton's stats over the same period, is 2.6 games per goal. A much higher % of Jamie's goals against career average are at championship level, where he won the Golden Boot.

Cureton may be less skillfull, but he is undoubtedly a better, and more reliable goalscorer. He also has had very little time injured, which is crucial at his age. I'd love to have them both, really I would. But people being blase about the best goalscorer we have had in possibly two decades, our leading scorer last year, and our player of the season worries me greatly. Nobody is irreplacable, I agree. GB will be an interesting alternative to Harley, and could be a great signing. But for NEXT season, I think, Cureton is the name in ink that the club, and us as supporters should want more than any other in the current squad.

If you offered every club in L1 and 2 the chance to sign him for next season, I suspect 80% would. It was an inspired signing by Tisdale, lets hope he can pull the rabbit again and keep the venerable goal machine...

Grecian_Jay

What's all this bollox about goals-minutes ratios? Are we syaing a striker who plays 2 games and scores 2 goals is a better option than one who scores 25 in 50?

It doesn't work like that, it's all about reliability and value for money. It isn't a co-incidence that Nards has rarely played more than 30 times in a season.

dommers

The key with Cureton is getting rid of him when he starts to go downhill as he's not getting any younger. Nardiello has another 5 years left in him, may be more given that he has played relatively few games each year, and for that reason I would rather keep him than Cureton.