• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doesn't appear to have many attributes beyond "an engine"
He's like a pint-sized George Friend. Without the footballing ability. Or the looks.

To be clear, the above is, at least partly, tongue in cheek. I haven't seen Ilmari away from home, where the clear consensus is he has been much better, and it's still relatively early days in his Exeter City career, so am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being at least – but, moving forward, I'd like to see much, much more from him.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's like a pint-sized George Friend. Without the footballing ability. Or the looks.

To be clear, the above is, at least partly, tongue in cheek. I haven't seen Ilmari away from home, where the clear consensus is he has been much better, and it's still relatively early days in his Exeter City career, so am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being at least – but, moving forward, I'd like to see much, much more from him.
He looks to me to be much better suited to a stretched game, where the structures broken down, the balls changing hands a lot and it's a bit chaotic. Technical posession football against set defenses doesn't seem to play to his strengths. Could imagine him doing better for us under Matt Taylor. He needs to get better with the basics though... I guess the lack of football and the injury has set him back a bit. Hoping we'll see more quality as time goes on.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You were standing near me then and I totally agree, the ball took a wicked bounce which took it over Vil's outstretched arm, he had it covered and couldn't do anything about that bounce. The problem was with Ilmari who weakly gave the ball away, then didn't get back quickly enough. Our back 3 also stood off Max Bird too much, allowing him the space to shoot.
Sounds like we were all standing in a similar place...

I guess it's one of those where we will have to agree to disagree. It's not like the 6 yard box is full of bobbles and divots, it's an absolute carpet so in my mind if it bounces over the keepers arm it's a misjudgement.

Not a howler, but one I'm sure he'd be annoyed he didn't save.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
You were standing near me then and I totally agree, the ball took a wicked bounce which took it over Vil's outstretched arm, he had it covered and couldn't do anything about that bounce. The problem was with Ilmari who weakly gave the ball away, then didn't get back quickly enough. Our back 3 also stood off Max Bird too much, allowing him the space to shoot.
Agreed - but also

wicked bounce - are you blaming Chas for the uneven state of the pitch?(!)

back three stood off Max Bird - I thought it was more the responsibility of a central midfielder to close down Bird.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We thought it took an unusual bounce too. Did it hit the six yard line? Wondered if it hit a divot from where he was taking goal kicks.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed - but also

wicked bounce - are you blaming Chas for the uneven state of the pitch?(!)

back three stood off Max Bird - I thought it was more the responsibility of a central midfielder to close down Bird.
Yes I am, Chas out 🤣

And it was, but when he didn’t the defence should have engaged him.

HarryECFC

I don't think Niskanen is utterly rubbish. He's had some poor games, and good games.

Yesterday in a game where Derby were clearly trying to cover most passes, and most players were playing back or sideways, Niskanen was used as someone to try and take on their opposing player to open it up some more. Same as Rankine does, who also loses the ball a lot. I would say though, Rankine is the attacking option, Niskanen is the more defensive one.

Mid Devon Grecian

We thought it took an unusual bounce too. Did it hit the six yard line? Wondered if it hit a divot from where he was taking goal kicks.
Just seen it on Spotlight. Bounced just a fraction inside 6 yard box. He’d already committed to the dive. Did seem to pop up more than might have been expected.

JGrecian23

So does a Vauxhall Corsa but I don't want one at wing back!

But we knew this when we signed him, didn’t we? I don’t understand why everyone is making such a fuss about how bad he is now? He is what he is, exactly what the Dundee Utd Fans told us. He’s not actually that bad, he’s just an average squad player who can fill in.
When he was injured halfway through our 14 game capitulation certain people were saying “we are missing him” all the time.
Moving forward he’s a “squad” player who’s probably best at filling in at Right Back where he can run up and down and play a simple ball.