• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
The pro-Russian element on here need to wake up
It's not so much a pro-Russian element as an anti-Western (particularly anti-American) element. Long held worldviews, particularly on the left of politics, that the West is the only entity capable of imperialism and invariably causes misery around the world. That then leads to a belief that there needs to be a multi-polar world to keep the evil yanks in check. A multi-polar world requires other entities, particularly Russia and China, to be powerful.

The realisation that Russia may be less powerful than they had thought and that Western foreign policy is currently the success that they always thought impossible is frying their minds. One response is denial to the point that some might actually sub-consciously prefer that Russia wins because it saves them from having to face that they have probably been wrong all of their lives.

tavyred

It's not so much a pro-Russian element as an anti-Western (particularly anti-American) element. Long held worldviews, particularly on the left of politics, that the West is the only entity capable of imperialism and invariably causes misery around the world. That then leads to a belief that there needs to be a multi-polar world to keep the evil yanks in check. A multi-polar world requires other entities, particularly Russia and China, to be powerful.

The realisation that Russia may be less powerful than they had thought and that Western foreign policy is currently the success that they always thought impossible is frying their minds. One response is denial to the point that some might actually sub-consciously prefer that Russia wins because it saves them from having to face that they have probably been wrong all of their lives.
A cracking post. Thankyou. 👍

angelic upstart

Good post Phil. Just one question on this, there's numerous American politicians, mostly on the right from what I gather. That appear anti-ukraine war (not pro Russia per se) in your view, is this merely political posturing and if not, what is it?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Good post Phil. Just one question on this, there's numerous American politicians, mostly on the right from what I gather. That appear anti-ukraine war (not pro Russia per se) in your view, is this merely political posturing and if not, what is it?
It does appear that there has been something of a flip in the US and that much of the dissent regarding the war has come from the right whereas here it seems to be more the preserve of the extremes of both left and right.

lamrobhero

Its the right wingers who support oligarchs and see Putin as a kindred spirit.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Its the right wingers who support oligarchs and see Putin as a kindred spirit.
That has nothing to do with it from what I've seen - more that there is a feeling of remorse for the actions of the US in Iraq/Afghanistan and a creeping return to isolationism. None of the right wing dissent I have seen has had anything to do with Putin.

angelic upstart

It does appear that there has been something of a flip in the US and that much of the dissent regarding the war has come from the right whereas here it seems to be more the preserve of the extremes of both left and right.
Strange isn't it!?! There's way too much that I don't understand fully (though folk on here have been a massive help).

What I do know is most expected the Russians to stroll in and win with ease very quickly. As time goes on, and as more NATO weaponry arrives the Russians look more and more toothless and lost. Nevertheless, Putin appears to remain extremely popular in Russia, which is very peculiar to me.

tavyred

Strange isn't it!?! There's way too much that I don't understand fully (though folk on here have been a massive help).

What I do know is most expected the Russians to stroll in and win with ease very quickly. As time goes on, and as more NATO weaponry arrives the Russians look more and more toothless and lost. Nevertheless, Putin appears to remain extremely popular in Russia, which is very peculiar to me.
Most of the Russian cannon-fodder are from its far flung provinces apparently. I don’t suppose there’s much polling on the popularity of the leader done in the eastern extremes of the Russian federation.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect much dissent is quelled by media disinformation and the fear that if you openly dissent you might find yourself drinking some particularly unpleasant tea or accidentally falling out of a window.

angelic upstart

Valid points, I had overlooked!