• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

iphones

Mike Blackstone

Whilst I might do the odd bit of Facebooking here and there, I've never really felt the need to have my whole life on a phone. As such, mine makes and receives calls, sends and receives texts and takes photos - never really felt the need for anything else.
Exactly my thoughts Ant.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd only get an iPhone for "Angry Birds".

StixUK

I feel like a right 'old' - I agree with A Moxey - wtf has the world come to when you have to be permanently glued to work or social websites, nobody will be able to live in their own company or be silent anymore.

Saying that, I'm still of the thought that if I am ill I will actually take the time off to get better instead of spreading it to one person and then seeing everybody else get infected, what a stupid idiot, huh?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saying that, I'm still of the thought that if I am ill I will actually take the time off to get better instead of spreading it to one person and then seeing everybody else get infected, what a stupid idiot, huh?
You mean that you're lazy? :p

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I feel like a right 'old' - I agree with A Moxey - wtf has the world come to when you have to be permanently glued to work or social websites, nobody will be able to live in their own company or be silent anymore.
Quite the opposite actually. The amount of times you're out in company and there's ALWAYS someone in your group who is constantly head down furiously tapping away on their phone all night without ever saying a word to anyone. Well, other than 'hang on a minute, I've just GOT to finish this first' as they spend the entire evening reading emails and telling Facebook what a great time they're having out with their mates every ten minutes.

Rather ironic really that the mobile phone has actually killed the art of social interaction when the whole point is to be able to keep in touch.

Mike Blackstone

Rather ironic really that the mobile phone has actually killed the art of social interaction when the whole point is to be able to keep in touch.
So very true.

edindevon

I have never owned a mobile phone, but I wanted to contribute to this thread as well. Landlines rule.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
well you better get used it, cos they ain't going anywhere.

StixUK

Quite the opposite actually. The amount of times you're out in company and there's ALWAYS someone in your group who is constantly head down furiously tapping away on their phone all night without ever saying a word to anyone. Well, other than 'hang on a minute, I've just GOT to finish this first' as they spend the entire evening reading emails and telling Facebook what a great time they're having out with their mates every ten minutes.

That was kind of what I was hinting at really. These people who are obsessive with mobiles become loners ultimately, trying to get it on with some Northern bird that could be a lazy fat pig called Dennis eating cake and drinking beer at his laptop/desktop.

People have tapped into an electronic mindset where the art of natural conversation seems to have been eroded away and now it is all about how quick you can type a text to get onto the next text only to realise that in 25 years time you have no thumb as you have contracted arthritis due to wearing out the joint!

I know what you mean about the one person in the group, I rarely check my mobile and rarely use it coz usually it's the wife hassling me, which I would rather avoid.

There is generally no substance to the person who is addicted to mobile phone usage IMHO and they substitute physical aka "real world" enjoyment for the electronic enjoyment, which unfortunately isn't very fulfilling on a long-term basis!

StixUK

You mean that you're lazy? :p
Far from it mate, I used to pile in 60 hrs+ at my debt collecting, the most committed member of the team (or 2nd) but it paid it's toll esp with having duties of waking up with the kids during nights and very early mornings.

I got ill quicker than most of my colleagues who were single or kids grown up. And once the illness had entered the house, it went through the four of us at the time so could last a week easily.

Unfortunately, most people hold the view that you mentioned there, that somehow people who respect other people by not infecting them with their illness are lazy but actually we are quite considerate and intend to inflict the pain on others.:)