• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it really all doom and gloom?

Taz

I must admit initially I thought we were really going to struggle this coming season especially not resigning Cureton or Amankwaah however I don't think things are going to be quite as bad as we all feared.

I say this for a number of reasons; I can't see Cureton continuing in the pro game much longer (now I've said that he'll keep going till he is 50); and I think last season was his swan song... so that said maybe not a bad thing we are trying to find a longer term replacement. Parkin does look interesting, even though his goal stats aren't that good at other clubs; (lets not for Cureton's season at Leyton Orient). O'Flynn just doesn't seem to fit the bill for me but hey, maybe he will surprise us all... Jamie Reid is developing along nicely and Nichols too (though probably not as talented as Reid). So hopefully more game time for those 2 to.

In midfield we are looking solid Oakley, Keohane, the Doc, Sercombe and Gow form a solid skill set for the youngsters to learn from... and we do have a good set of kids; one of the most under-rated in the ranks at the mo is Jacob Jagger-Cane... but then when you add Bennett, Grimes and Gosling in to the mix things aren't looking to dire. Fingers crossed we get Wheeler too...

Defence / goal is probably a bit light... and ideally I would of kept Kevin however if Dawson turns out to be as talented as many think then his experience of first team action may well see him come on leaps and bounds. We do have good experience in Coles, Baldwin etc... I expect we'll see more of JMT too. Krysiak I think is developing really well; I just hope we tie him down to a longer contract so that we don't lose him on a free at all. Jury is out on Pym, he could be the weak link... however I suspect if Krysiak was out injured, Tis would look for a loanee rather than going with Christy.

All in all I can see a future for us and am hopeful for a top half finish...

Mark Wakeley

I must admit initially I thought we were really going to struggle this coming season especially not resigning Cureton or Amankwaah however I don't think things are going to be quite as bad as we all feared.

I say this for a number of reasons; I can't see Cureton continuing in the pro game much longer (now I've said that he'll keep going till he is 50); and I think last season was his swan song... so that said maybe not a bad thing we are trying to find a longer term replacement. Parkin does look interesting, even though his goal stats aren't that good at other clubs; (lets not for Cureton's season at Leyton Orient). O'Flynn just doesn't seem to fit the bill for me but hey, maybe he will surprise us all... Jamie Reid is developing along nicely and Nichols too (though probably not as talented as Reid). So hopefully more game time for those 2 to.

In midfield we are looking solid Oakley, Keohane, the Doc, Sercombe and Gow form a solid skill set for the youngsters to learn from... and we do have a good set of kids; one of the most under-rated in the ranks at the mo is Jacob Jagger-Cane... but then when you add Bennett, Grimes and Gosling in to the mix things aren't looking to dire. Fingers crossed we get Wheeler too...

Defence / goal is probably a bit light... and ideally I would of kept Kevin however if Dawson turns out to be as talented as many think then his experience of first team action may well see him come on leaps and bounds. We do have good experience in Coles, Baldwin etc... I expect we'll see more of JMT too. Krysiak I think is developing really well; I just hope we tie him down to a longer contract so that we don't lose him on a free at all. Jury is out on Pym, he could be the weak link... however I suspect if Krysiak was out injured, Tis would look for a loanee rather than going with Christy.

All in all I can see a future for us and am hopeful for a top half finish...

Good post and well said Taz

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of the playing side, no it's not all doom and gloom. We have a reasonably decent squad, albeit with no recognised right back and a couple of players who are first choices but should be relegated to the bench in favour of younger and better players. I don't think we'll be in the promotion hunt, but I don't think we'll be looking nervously over our shoulders either. Mid or lower mid-table, would be my guess.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is it all doom and gloom? Only in the minds of the vociferous few if you really look around. I think for most of us, it's an expectation of mid table mediocrity and with the faint hope that maybe something might just come off somewhere and give hope for a bit more.

wemissmoxey

the faint hope that maybe something might just come off somewhere and give hope for a bit more.
Tisdale to Swindon is not going to happen Greasy.

grecIAN Harris

Tisdale to Swindon is not going to happen Greasy.
I know. I told you that yesterday and you scoffed at the suggestion as to why.

wemissmoxey

If I recall correctly I simply asked you if your information came from a source at Winkleigh Village Hall.

andrew p long

I think for most of us, it's an expectation of mid table mediocrity and with the faint hope that maybe something might just come off somewhere and give hope for a bit more.
Mid table mediocrity might just have us as Devon's top team (again).

So much of course turns on whether the youngsters come good.

rustle

Is it all doom and gloom? Only in the minds of the vociferous few if you really look around. I think for most of us, it's an expectation of mid table mediocrity and with the faint hope that maybe something might just come off somewhere and give hope for a bit more.
Sounds about right to me - just hope the football at home is better than last season...........

Pobbop

Mid table mediocrity might just have us as Devon's top team (again).

So much of course turns on whether the youngsters come good.
Yes, all revolves around this for me. I think we have easily enough to stay up in a poor, poor League.

Yet the youngsters could be the x-factor, or disappointing,. I quite like the feeling of a bit of the unknown. Let the good or bad times roll.

There have been many years in my following of the club that I've had a worse feeling coming in.