• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Strange how this is going. I was a bit surprised but not too fussed when Jack was released as he was seen by many (including me) as a decent but slow left winger ,definitely not a full-back. I thought Mitchel was an upgrade.

Mid Devon Grecian

Having seen Jules trying to play left wing back over the last couple of months it makes Caldwell’s decision to bin off Jack look even more ridiculous.

tonykellowfan

The thing about Sparkes is that he didn't fit into a 3-5-2 so I can understand why he was let go.

A team playing 4-4-2 is much better suited to his strengths.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
The thing about Sparkes is that he didn't fit into a 3-5-2 so I can understand why he was let go.

A team playing 4-4-2 is much better suited to his strengths.
He's better at wing back than Jules is. Might not be as solid defensively but is far better going forward. I miss him throwing himself to the floor to win dubious penalties.

Colesman Ballz

Strange how this is going. I was a bit surprised but not too fussed when Jack was released as he was seen by many (including me) as a decent but slow left winger ,definitely not a full-back. I thought Mitchel was an upgrade.
The problem is that whilst Mitchell might be an upgrade he was only signed on an eighteen month contract, and always likely to be off next summer. But for his injury the Club might even have been looking to sell him in the January window ! With the departure of the likes of Jack you are losing continuity from the squad. With a plethora of loans and short term contracts we are plunging into turbulent times and constant rebuilding. We need to start to giving a minimum of three year contracts to good players who we can improve. That way we would have at least two seasons out of them, before selling them on for good money.

JGrecian23

Get in Jack. Shoving a finger up at the clowns that think you need the speed of Usain Bolt to be a decent League 1 player. Drop shoulder, whip in a cross and job done.

Mind you no point in him being here, not sure his crossed are designed for Cheik to head in!

sign of the chimes

Would now be a good time to point out that I think he's been pretty poor the last three games? I'd wondered how he'd do against the better sides and he got a proper going over by Blackpool, who targeted him. He then got turned inside out by Baah at Burton on the Tuesday; and despite another attacking contribution on Saturday in our win at Northampton he was sloppy in defence at times.

I've said elsewhere, I think he's exceeded the expectations of most in his short time with us - but his limitations have been particularly evident over that little run of matches. I'm nervous about him lining up against Bolton on Monday night.

STURTZ

This is the reason I think we were right to let him go. O.k. given the time and space which having a good team around him can offer but he'd be out of the frame now in our team. If he did manage to get to the byeline he'd be putting in pin point crosses for who exactly?

manc grecian

This is the reason I think we were right to let him go. O.k. given the time and space which having a good team around him can offer but he'd be out of the frame now in our team. If he did manage to get to the byeline he'd be putting in pin point crosses for who exactly?
"Yeh sorry Jack, we're not planning on having any strikers next season or scoring any goals. In fact I was going to give Chieck a go up there, he looks a natural for it. So for that reason alone I'm letting you go".

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Yeh sorry Jack, we're not planning on having any strikers next season or scoring any goals. In fact I was going to give Chieck a go up there, he looks a natural for it. So for that reason alone I'm letting you go".
'And your defensive qualities aren't required as we're happy to concede 5+ goals on a regular basis'