• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah, I meant if we had Sparkes now we'd be flying!🙄

He is a better LWB than Jules but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

Memphis09

Would now be a good time to point out that I think he's been pretty poor the last three games? I'd wondered how he'd do against the better sides and he got a proper going over by Blackpool, who targeted him. He then got turned inside out by Baah at Burton on the Tuesday; and despite another attacking contribution on Saturday in our win at Northampton he was sloppy in defence at times.

I've said elsewhere, I think he's exceeded the expectations of most in his short time with us - but his limitations have been particularly evident over that little run of matches. I'm nervous about him lining up against Bolton on Monday night.
As said many times on here before
Yes good going forward
Defensively he is poor
Mind you with our current defensive record who knows

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
He is a better LWB than Jules but that's not saying much.
Quite. Which is exactly why is why the decision to let him go is being questioned.

cambmike

Strange how this is going. I was a bit surprised but not too fussed when Jack was released as he was seen by many (including me) as a decent but slow left winger ,definitely not a full-back. I thought Mitchel was an upgrade.
One of the aspects of City play that I have enjoyed in recent seasons has been Sweenz and Key working together on the right. I don't see this sort of working together these days on left or right.

Boyo

Would now be a good time to point out that I think he's been pretty poor the last three games? I'd wondered how he'd do against the better sides and he got a proper going over by Blackpool, who targeted him. He then got turned inside out by Baah at Burton on the Tuesday; and despite another attacking contribution on Saturday in our win at Northampton he was sloppy in defence at times.

I've said elsewhere, I think he's exceeded the expectations of most in his short time with us - but his limitations have been particularly evident over that little run of matches. I'm nervous about him lining up against Bolton on Monday night.
Chimes, this is Exeweb, where we classify every single decision by the current manager, board, Trust, social media guys and podcasters as wrong. Your independent, impartial and balanced views are not welcome here.
;)

Bridgy 81

Well done Jack Sparkes and Portsmouth.
I don’t think he was in the squad this evening but presumably he’s made sufficient appearances this season to earn a League One winners medal to go with the League Two runners up one he already has.
Not bad at all for a former Exeter City 1931 funded player.
Hopefully he’ll have some opportunities to contribute in the Championship as well.
Nice example for Alex Hartridge and Harry Kite to try to emulate.

larrywilkie

I don’t think he was in the squad this evening but presumably he’s made sufficient appearances this season to earn a League One winners medal to go with the League Two runners up one he already has.
Hopefully he’ll have some opportunities to contribute in the Championship as well.
I think he has played enough games but has been out of favour since the start of the year. Played a full 90 minutes on NYD and has only played one more full 90 since then.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he has played enough games but has been out of favour since the start of the year. Played a full 90 minutes on NYD and has only played one more full 90 since then.
Yes I saw that too but was an ever present for a number of weeks after joining so would think he had already played enough games earlier through the season for him to qualify

sign of the chimes

Jack has made some really important contributions this season, particularly early on when he had far more involvement than I think anyone anticipated he would have. He started a few games last month but has struggled a bit more for minutes since our first-choice left-back returned to full fitness; and our strengthening in other areas, and return to fitness of a few others, has led to our bench being far more attacking in recent weeks. The key to our success this season appears to have been recruiting decent footballers for the level - but, more importantly, a real no-d***heads policy with a massive focus on getting the right sort of characters in; Sparkes has stepped up as needed and seems to fit in with said policy.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is/are with him next season. He has another year with us contractually - presumbaly his wage will increase as a result of the promotion. Ogilvie (our regular starter at LB) is out of contract at the end of the season and, at this stage, no indication of whether we will extend (as with all our out of contract players).

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jack has made some really important contributions this season, particularly early on when he had far more involvement than I think anyone anticipated he would have. He started a few games last month but has struggled a bit more for minutes since our first-choice left-back returned to full fitness; and our strengthening in other areas, and return to fitness of a few others, has led to our bench being far more attacking in recent weeks. The key to our success this season appears to have been recruiting decent footballers for the level - but, more importantly, a real no-d***heads policy with a massive focus on getting the right sort of characters in; Sparkes has stepped up as needed and seems to fit in with said policy.

It will be interesting to see what the plan is/are with him next season. He has another year with us contractually - presumbaly his wage will increase as a result of the promotion. Ogilvie (our regular starter at LB) is out of contract at the end of the season and, at this stage, no indication of whether we will extend (as with all our out of contract players).
Presumably though Chimes you will have to upgrade significantly to compete in the Championship, I'd be staggered if Jack can be anything but a squad player next season.