• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joel Nouble - New Striker?

Grecian Up North

As a Livi fan who gets down to see Exeter when I can, the recent swapping of players has been a bit amusing. Hopefully Fitzwater is getting on better than Parkes did.

I'll admit I haven't been able to keep as up to date with City this season so don't know what formation is being played, but if he's not on the wing then you at least want another striker alongside him. He isn't a lone striker, and he needs to be able to drift out wide to get the best out of him. He was an absolute colossus last season; but there's no point analysing his goal/assist stats as his game (when he's on form) is not quite about that. What he's great at is holding onto the ball, beating players (he can usually be found with about 3 opposition players hanging off of him) and hitting the byline and creating a chance or winning a corner.

His drop in form this season has been incredibly disappointing, but it's mainly down to the formation being changed - ironically as we thought he'd be getting sold in the summer so have a system that has 0 wingers and only 1 striker, it's seen him play as a central attacking midfielder and as a wing back, neither of which have suited him at all. He *can* be a target man, but he's much better with the ball at his feet and running at defenders. However, the formation changing shouldn't have affected his effort level and passing ability, that's surely something that's on him, but I'm sure a fresh start and a more suitable role would see him able to get back to his best.

All might be a bit premature but we can wait and see, believe Motherwell are trying to get him too along with another EFL League 1 team.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have you seen much of Frank Nouble? Are their games very similar?
Similar size and build. Doesn’t score a lot of goals so a bit like his brother.. perhaps they’ll share a place between Yeovil and Ex..

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a Livi fan who gets down to see Exeter when I can, the recent swapping of players has been a bit amusing. Hopefully Fitzwater is getting on better than Parkes did.

I'll admit I haven't been able to keep as up to date with City this season so don't know what formation is being played, but if he's not on the wing then you at least want another striker alongside him. He isn't a lone striker, and he needs to be able to drift out wide to get the best out of him. He was an absolute colossus last season; but there's no point analysing his goal/assist stats as his game (when he's on form) is not quite about that. What he's great at is holding onto the ball, beating players (he can usually be found with about 3 opposition players hanging off of him) and hitting the byline and creating a chance or winning a corner.

His drop in form this season has been incredibly disappointing, but it's mainly down to the formation being changed - ironically as we thought he'd be getting sold in the summer so have a system that has 0 wingers and only 1 striker, it's seen him play as a central attacking midfielder and as a wing back, neither of which have suited him at all. He *can* be a target man, but he's much better with the ball at his feet and running at defenders. However, the formation changing shouldn't have affected his effort level and passing ability, that's surely something that's on him, but I'm sure a fresh start and a more suitable role would see him able to get back to his best.

All might be a bit premature but we can wait and see, believe Motherwell are trying to get him too along with another EFL League 1 team.
Thanks for that. It actually makes me think he could be a decent signing...for a different manager. From your description he won't fit into Caldwell's system and so we'll have another player on our hands being played out of position.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster

Cheers for that. Last thing we need is someone who is good at winning corners.

CraigECFC

Caldwell could be signing him primarily as a LW and be looking to change to a 433 with Rankine, Wildshut or Niskanen RW? I’m a bit confused where Caldwell wants to go with the January signings. Purrington is more of a full back than a wing back, which suggests he might be looking at a back four but then you have to think about what you do with Rankine on the right. Harris and Aitchinson are both 10s but can’t play two 10s in a back 4 system with wide players. I can’t see him dropping Aitchinson any time soon.

The squad seems a bit of mess right now with many players that ‘can’ play many positions but system/formation isn’t allowing for them to play their best/preferred.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caldwell could be signing him primarily as a LW and be looking to change to a 433 with Rankine, Wildshut or Niskanen RW? I’m a bit confused where Caldwell wants to go with the January signings. Purrington is more of a full back than a wing back, which suggests he might be looking at a back four but then you have to think about what you do with Rankine on the right. Harris and Aitchinson are both 10s but can’t play two 10s in a back 4 system with wide players. I can’t see him dropping Aitchinson any time soon.

The squad seems a bit of mess right now with many players that ‘can’ play many positions but system/formation isn’t allowing for them to play their best/preferred.
To play a back four we'd need to sign a RB.

CraigECFC

To play a back four we'd need to sign a RB.
This is my point. We’ve signed a left back suited to a back four and that isn’t reflected on the right side. Would also mean we’d probably offload a CB as trying to keep all 4 happy would be tough. Not sure where Jules fits in either and think he’s been one of our better players this year. It all just seems so unbalanced.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is my point. We’ve signed a left back suited to a back four and that isn’t reflected on the right side. Would also mean we’d probably offload a CB as trying to keep all 4 happy would be tough. Not sure where Jules fits in either and think he’s been one of our better players this year. It all just seems so unbalanced.
Yep. The balance of the squad is FUBAR. GC seems to be obsessed with collecting 10s.

Radio Free Skaro

Just need to find an Owen-esque partner for him and we’re laughing then.
All joking aside and comparisons with all time great England Internationals notwithstanding, I can see Joel Nouble linking up well with Sonny Cox.

Radio Free Skaro

What's your opinion in the difference in standard between Scots Premier and English league 1.