• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Latest Club News..

dontpassback

The main reason behind the chiefs going from one man and his dog at the county ground,to success at sandy park is basically down to tony rowe,like him or loathe him,he has driven the rugby club forward with vision and tenacity!(personally I am not a fan because of what happened to the falcons at the county ground )

Pobbop

The fact is I am not interested in Rugger, never will be. Yet it is undoubtedly true they have taken support from us, not the hardcore, but the floating voters attracted by glory. Not sure we can do anything about it as a club, other than burn down Sandy Park (which I don't think is wise), hence why I don't think the 6000 thing is very realistic, but hope I'm wrong.

and I'm never sure we can learn much from them, as the amount of money they spent to become one of the biggest teams in Europe in their sport, probably would stuggle to make us a Championship syde, chalk and cheese.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The main reason behind the chiefs going from one man and his dog at the county ground,to success at sandy park is basically down to tony rowe,like him or loathe him,he has driven the rugby club forward with vision and tenacity!(personally I am not a fan because of what happened to the falcons at the county ground )
Tony Rowe has undoubtedly had vision and tenacity but he has also had huge amounts of help from the local council and, as others have mentioned, spent a hell of a lot of money before he started to make any back.

Boyo

Tony Rowe was the catalyst to success, but Sandy Park is the cash cow. The revenue they generate from non-matchday activities is eyewatering. That's only going to increase once the hotel opens and the conferencing facilities are expanded. On match days they generate £100k+ on food/drinks sales alone.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tony Rowe was the catalyst to success, but Sandy Park is the cash cow. The revenue they generate from non-matchday activities is eyewatering. That's only going to increase once the hotel opens and the conferencing facilities are expanded. On match days they generate £100k+ on food/drinks sales alone.
Not surprised given their prices and lack of competition iin the area

Banksy

They must be doing something right down there at Sandy Park.Eight members of my Devon family support them regularly whilst none now go to see City. And some of them did before. If I’d still been there that would have been balanced by my two season tickets , outnumbered four to one !
So City have to go some to compete with that and I doubt if they ever will.We’ve just seen reports of Stockley earning five and a half thousand a week , if we do get to League One quite honestly how do we compete with that.The next step the Championship would probably be a bridge too far especially if we wanted to establish ourselves there. Yeovil and Co enjoyed their brief fling there and good on them for doing it but it never lasts because that league is all about moneybag millionaires throwing money at it to get into the Premiership.So, guess the aim would be to establish ourselves as a top third League One side and actually stay there this time. That might just bring in the 6000 gates on a good day but we have to try .

Reactions: DB9

Boyo

They must be doing something right down there at Sandy Park.Eight members of my Devon family support them regularly whilst none now go to see City. And some of them did before. If I’d still been there that would have been balanced by my two season tickets , outnumbered four to one !
They have managed to create an event that is more than just the match. Lots of different bars and food options alongside bands, karaoke, sport on screens etc. The game is the excuse to go, but groups of people will spend 5-6 hours there.

The last time I was there the number of 'tourists' was astonishing. Half the people in the crowd barely watched the game. I know people at work who are Chiefs "fans" and will go to a few matches each season. However, on a Monday morning, unless they've actually been to the match, they often have no idea how they got on.

Banksy

So folk go there to meet and be sociable and in a lot of cases the match plays second fiddle a bit like you’d go to your average sports and social club in the evening. Gets expensive when you’re taking a couple of family.To get people in like that you’ve got to have the facilities. My purchases at the Park usually amounted to a couple of pasties and a couple of Mars bars with the odd drink!
But the main thing I went for was the match.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
My purchases at the Park usually amounted to a couple of pasties and a couple of Mars bars with the odd drink!
But the main thing I went for was the match.
Jesus Banksy, that's enough to give me indigestion just reading that.

Banksy

Jesus Banksy, that's enough to give me indigestion just reading that.
I usually had one of my grandchildren with me so sweets and soft drinks prevailed and I was conned into buying many.Health consciousness didn’t come into it I’m afraid. And I was always a sucker for a half time pasty! Out on the lam with my amateur footballing mates beers were the order of the day.

Last edited: