• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obama Inaugration

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got the day off work, done the shopping, fridge full of beer and Satay Chicken for later.

I'm not even part American (although I've been to 5 of the States) but I'm going to sit down and enjoy a nation who actually LIKE their elected leader, it's been a long time since we seem to have felt that way.

Several million are expected in Washington for the ceremony and I admire the way the American electorate gets so involved in their political process.

Can Obama deliver his promises? The World is in the sh*t right now and he is probably our best hope. If he gets the World's only (current) Superpower up and running again and we can rely on him not to go to war with Iran, North Korea or whoever then it's a good start.

Oh, and Up The City tonight![y][ecfc]*

* yes I should have gone but got to house, baby and dog-sit later:(

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
What? Obama won the US election?

How did I miss that?

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
More importantly; what happened to James Callaghan?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
If he gets the World's only (current) Superpower up and running again
Careful, you might start an enormous debate with that one......

*cue RTP's arrival on the thread*

;)

As for Obama doing anything worthwhile, well it remains to be seen if he'll do the most important thing necessary to stop this global financial crisis from occurring again (in spite of any shorter-term solutions) - introduce tight regulation into the credit and mortgage markets.

The UK needs to do the same thing as well.

But they won't.

Last edited:

DB9

I'm really looking forward to Obama's term in office. He will steer the US in a new direction and away from the isolationist era of George W Bush and hopefully give the world a more balanced view on certain foreign issues.

There is no doubt he has come into office when the world is in economic meltdown, The US are engaged in two conflicts and they are not the only superpower in the world with the emergence China and a reborn Russia who are much stronger than when Bush came to office, They will not be in a position to go on pre-emptive strikes into other countries such as Iran or N Korea without the other superpowers having a much stronger say. Bush's total disrespect for the UN and the use of their veto in voting on really serious issues will hopefully be a thing of the past and the UN might look like a serious way of avoiding war which it was designed to do after it was set up after WW2

I hope this President will engage and rebuild relations with the rest of the world which in 8 years of Bush totally ruined, except of course Israel who coincidently decided to stop their war in Gaza just as Bush is kicked out of office.

I hope and pray Obama will deliver but he has got one hell of a difficult job on his hands and i hope people do not expect too much straight away, I for one will tune in into his inauguration, The first time i have ever been interested in it

Red the Paper

Banned
Worlds' only superpower...do me a favour. Whilst I may have a lot of time for Obama, unfortunately he will succumb to big business and be as morally corrupt as any other american politician.

God F*ck America

Exe on Valdez

His mrs gets a yay from me.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
he will succumb to big business and be as morally corrupt as any other american politician.
Actually you can take the word 'American' out of that sentence and it still works.

Lovin' the atmosphere, the symbolism, his style, what it means to black Americans but not expecting that much from his presidency I'm afraid. Like him as a person a lot though, very clever guy.

Poultice

Only took them three years to get the Catholic, I guess this one will be sorted even quicker.

angelic upstart

It's all a big fart in the ocean. Does anyone really think the world is gonna change simply because Obama is in power? Of course Obama will have different view on foreign policy but he possibly has the most difficult job in the world, to change an ailing superpower and make it a superpower again. Lest we forget, China effectively owns the US due to the USA's debt to them.