• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obama Inaugration

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great speech by Obama but now the hard work starts, Sounded like he was reaching out to the whole world which i suppose can only be a good thing

ecfc2000

Is that not a picture of our Melksham correspondent himself?
I would love to say it were, sadly no.

loobygrecian

Am i the only one wondering what all the fuss is about? I expect to get a slating for asking this!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Am i the only one wondering what all the fuss is about? I expect to get a slating for asking this!
There's just a chance the world may avoid a complete catastrophe, in the none-too-distant future, with Obama in charge... that's all! ;-)

DB9

No slating Looby, I think that to have a African American as President when only less than 50 years ago in some parts of the USA a black person could not sit in the same restaurant as a white person, sit together on a bus, park bench, go to the same schools or even vote.

I cant remember his name but in the 1960's there was a white senator of a Southern state who campaigned on total segregation in all walks of life and got the local police to fire on civil rights campaigners and forcibly tried to stop black children going to a white school.

So in a way for the US now to have a black president is a very historic moment and he has a very heavy burden on his shoulders....Good luck to him

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
So in a way for the US now to have a president of mixed-race is a very historic moment and he has a very heavy burden on his shoulders....Good luck to him

Edited for accuracy.

Brinty IFA

No slating Looby, I think that to have a African American as President when only less than 50 years ago in some parts of the USA a black person could not sit in the same restaurant as a white person, sit together on a bus, park bench, go to the same schools or even vote.

I cant remember his name but in the 1960's there was a white senator of a Southern state who campaigned on total segregation in all walks of life and got the local police to fire on civil rights campaigners and forcibly tried to stop black children going to a white school.

So in a way for the US now to have a black president is a very historic moment and he has a very heavy burden on his shoulders....Good luck to him
Also, taking race out of the equation, he appears to be a President who wants to negotiate with nations rather than just bomb/Bully them. Time will tell but alot of people beleive that this may lead to a more peaceful world, which is a fairly big deal.

Last edited:

loobygrecian

There's just a chance the world may avoid a complete catastrophe, in the none-too-distant future, with Obama in charge... that's all! ;-)
Will believe it when i see it. But good luck to him.

angelic upstart

On what basis do you come to this conclusion?

Antony Moxey

And what catastrophe is this, and why couldn't McCain have avoided it had he got in?