• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our Style of Play

grecianstew

Tommy Doc can receive the ball at his feet, bring it forward and pick a pass. So can Alan Gow. Gosling can. Molesley can on his day.

But generally, I fear you may be right, Jammers. And that is a sad state of affairs for a team aiming for the play-offs.
I too believe Janners to be right, with the midfield that we now have. You see on Monday no Tommy D, no Matt Oakley, no Alan Gow, no Liam S (who I believe was returning to some sort of form when crooked). Gosling was very poor and Jimmy K little better, Bennett was, well Bennett and Davies lightweight. Of your list only Mosely could be trusted with the ball at his feet and to be honest i don't think he is a craftsman, more a workhorse. The back four look up, are confronted with players hiding or players they cant trust and so hit it long - compounded as i said in a previous post, by Cureton never coming short but always looking to spin in behind.

Boyo

Wow – I think there’s a general consensus of agreement on this thread. The current midfield isn’t good enough to keep the ball in the middle and hence we retreat backwards where eventually we are forced to knock a long ball. It’s not the tactics at fault, rather the current personal in the team.

As others have said (and Tis did in his interview, on Saturday) we’ve had the heart and talent ripped out of the team with Sercs, Gow, Oakley and now Doherty injured. A real shame. As I said on another thread, a midfield consisting of those 4 would tear this league up!

SimonBB

With the ball getting pumped forward quicker due to our inability to hold it in midfield, it would probably be best to get Flynny up top with Curo and with someone to competing for the 2nd ball as a support to our 2 strikers. It may not be fantastic football but Plan A isn't working now Oakley and Sercs aren't clearing up and keeping possession.

The thin midfield would provide space for wingbacks. Big Kev has a great engine to get up and down, and Woodman can deliver a good cross. However, if this was to work we would need a big centre forward.

East Devon Clown

Putting the fun and the mental back into fundament
The thin midfield would provide space for wingbacks. Big Kev has a great engine to get up and down, and Woodman can deliver a good cross. However, if this was to work we would need a big centre forward.
5-3-2. Those were the days. Mind you that was a team built around Sir Ryan Harley.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its not been good over the last 2 seasons.

I have just worked out that in that time I have seen 21 games and my record is W3 D6 L12. Ouch!

FAN-TATIC

I have just worked out that in that time I have seen 21 games and my record is W3 D6 L12. Ouch!
Now, that explains a lot crocks!:D

Maybe you need to change your name to Jonah?!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

My "viewing experience" this season is almost as dire: all home games (7-6-8) plus away (when we are 11-3-6) as follows: W1 (Barnet), D2 (Daggers, Turkey), L4 (Cheltenham, Bristol R, Burton, Argyle).

I obviously need to start going to more of the more distant games. But when I tried to go to Rotherham we were snowed off at Junction 14!

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see this debate is getting in deeply and tbh, i'm being a touch slack here, but to me as very general 'rule of thumb ' with pt's teams the better the holding midfielder is, the better we play, and unfortunately the options we've got in that dept atm, though in squad terms they are probably at their strongest since Edwards retired, have almost run out and subsequently could it be interpreted as us losing our 'style'?