• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City Official Matchday Thread.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, there is a whopping 16mins 56secs of highlights up on Grecian Player. (y)
Most of these are too tight to invest in Grecian Player, Rae.

In any event, the footage clearly shows that the goal was Sercombes. It was on target when Sercombe let fly, and it was still on target when it got an almighty deflection to leave their keeper flatfooted. At no point was it going wide, but Cole was well placed to deal with the original shot.

grecIAN Harris

It wasn't like it was a small deflection Pete. It sent the ball totally the other way. Strikers Union, of which I'm a fully paid up member, dictates that should be Super Tommy Nichols goal.

STURTZ

I had it down as a Nichols goal.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was right in line with the ball after it deflected but still couldn't say whether the shot would have been wide without the intervention of Nichols' face.

On balance I'd say it probably was on target or very close, and Serc's goal. If it'd hit Owen Gaul he certainly would be unhappy for it to be credited to him (though it would have made him our top scorer...)

PeteUSA

It wasn't like it was a small deflection Pete. It sent the ball totally the other way. Strikers Union, of which I'm a fully paid up member, dictates that should be Super Tommy Nichols goal.
I totally agree Ian. I assumed Sercombes shot was deflected in by an Argyle defender. Under the circumstances, despite all the hard work by Sercombe, its fair to say that Nicholls, as the last City player to touch that shot, which caused the deflection for a goal should be credited with the goal. Under those circumstances it doesnt matter if Serc's original shot was on target or not. Assuming Nicholls was onside when the ball hit him in the chops, its Nicholls goal.

Last edited:

Fareham Grecian

I totally agree Ian. I assumed Sercombes shot was deflected in by an Argyle defender. Under the circumstances, despite all the hard work by Sercombe, its fair to say that Nicholls, as the last City player to touch that shot, which caused the deflection for a goal should be credited with the goal. Under those circumstances it doesnt matter if Serc's original shot was on target or not. Assuming Nicholls was onside when the ball hit him in the chops, its Nicholls goal.
A new record I think - totally contradicting your own post from just 4 posts back! Well done you utter tool.

(And incidentally you have also unwittingly proved that judging an incident, let alone a whole game, from a few moments of TV footage is pretty much impossible. I know it won't stop you issuing your fatuous opinions masquerading as facts though. Carry on.)

grecIAN Harris

One thing that I don't think has been made very much of since the game is the players appreciation of the support they got on Tuesday night. Most every one of them that has made any kind of public comment has made great appreciation of our efforts. I thought we were 'kin awesome. Aside from a couple of minutes after they scored, you barely heard The Scum. Two songs which made it for me, and in normal circumstances I'm not a great lover of, were Stanno's Song right through the game and If You 'kin Bounce at the end. Both very anthemic given the evening.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
One thing that I don't think has been made very much of since the game is the players appreciation of the support they got on Tuesday night. Most every one of them that has made any kind of public comment has made great appreciation of our efforts. I thought we were 'kin awesome. Aside from a couple of minutes after they scored, you barely heard The Scum. Two songs which made it for me, and in normal circumstances I'm not a great lover of, were Stanno's Song right through the game and If You 'kin Bounce at the end. Both very anthemic given the evening.
Both Pat and Liam make mention of the crowd in their respective newspaper columns. Sercs also says it was definitely his goal!

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Pat-Baldwin-column-Derby-victory-provided-timely/story-20878817-detail/story.html
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Liam-Sercombe-doesn-8217-t-better-beating-Argyle/story-20854114-detail/story.html

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Nichols-concedes-defeat-goal-row-Exeter-team-mate/story-20873874-detail/story.html

grecIAN Harris

By that, I meant on here. The lads get slated so very quickly if they say anything adverse about us, Faggotgate is a prime example, but not a great deal has been made of their public appreciation of how we backed them on Tuesday.