• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
^^^^
Biomass(wood burning pellets) accounts as carbon neutral despite putting all sorts of crap into the atmosphere, because it is deemed renewable, hence attracting huge public subsidies. A nice little earner if you have shares in the company that runs Drax Power Station. Someone will wake up & smell the coffee one day.

Radio Free Skaro

^^^^
Biomass(wood burning pellets) accounts as carbon neutral despite putting all sorts of crap into the atmosphere because it is deemed renewable, hence attracting huge public subsidies. A nice little earner if you have shares in the company that runs Drax Power Station. Someone will wake up & smell the coffee one day.
A bit like running your diesel car on used chip fryer oil. Recycling innit!

Oldsmobile-88

A bit like running your diesel car on used chip fryer oil. Recycling innit!
And smelling like Capel’s Fish & Chip shop !😁

elginCity

Agreed that's why we need to learn from Scandinavia who seem to do a better job of running their countries. They embrace capitalism but tend to have a better welfare system and a more equal society.

The best of both worlds!

That's probably some of the reasons why their nations consistently score highly in the happiest countries on earth.
Same in Germany, where ‘tax’ is not a dirty word; something to avoid, mitigate or evade, but a necessity for the greater good. Different mindset, stemming from a good general education.

As you rightly point out, fairness and equality for all actually makes people happier.

arthur

One for Tavy and me to go to. Unfortunately I'll be away on October 7th

Mr Jinx

Looks like Finland is about to go the way of Sweden with regards to its politics.

DB9

He's very funny, Hedge End in November is the closest for me.

tavyred

Call me miserable but I’ve never quite got the point of sitting in a theatre while a bloke just stands there doing nothing other than trying to make you laugh. As for political and social commentary comedy! Yuk!!

DB9

Call me miserable but I’ve never quite got the point of sitting in a theatre while a bloke just stands there doing nothing other than trying to make you laugh. As for political and social commentary comedy! Yuk!!
Oi, Miserable! 🙂 He is funny, Not everyone's taste ill grant you but a good evening out.

Alistair20000

Same in Germany, where ‘tax’ is not a dirty word; something to avoid, mitigate or evade, but a necessity for the greater good. Different mindset, stemming from a good general education.

As you rightly point out, fairness and equality for all actually makes people happier.
Haw haw haw.

Cast aside those rose tinted specs with the EU flag emblazoned on the rims Elgers :)

Here is just one article that tells us German corporates are very adept at tax "mitigation"