• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth (away) 21st Jan

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
#StillFuming

sign of the chimes

The times I’ve been in the Milton end at Portsmouth what’s struck me most is the almost complete absence of any room to accommodate your legs if you want to sit down.
I suppose that’s what comes when it appears that the seats have just been bolted onto an existing terrace.
Hopefully the refurbishment will address this.
The away section at Anfield is also equally poor in this regard in my experience.
You're absolutely right about the legroom or lack of in the Milton End. To be true it's been the case for the whole ground, with the exception of the Fratton End - which was rebuilt in the late 1990s.

The North and South lower stands had issues for the same reason as the Milton End - as you rightly say, the seats were literally bolted on to the terrace that was there before. The upper stands had always been seated but date back to the 1920s and 1930s and a time when men were, on average, about 4' 8"*. Both stands have undergone reprofiling and fairly extensive redevelopment over the past 18 months or so and, from what I've heard (I'm a Fratton-Ender) the legroom hasn't improved in either.

I've not seen the detailed specs for the Milton End, but it's a similar reprofile/redevelop approach. Where I suspect the biggest improvements will be for visiting fans is around the amenities and the ability to purchase a pie and pint.

* may not be true

Bridgy 81

You're absolutely right about the legroom or lack of in the Milton End. To be true it's been the case for the whole ground, with the exception of the Fratton End - which was rebuilt in the late 1990s.

The North and South lower stands had issues for the same reason as the Milton End - as you rightly say, the seats were literally bolted on to the terrace that was there before. The upper stands had always been seated but date back to the 1920s and 1930s and a time when men were, on average, about 4' 8"*. Both stands have undergone reprofiling and fairly extensive redevelopment over the past 18 months or so and, from what I've heard (I'm a Fratton-Ender) the legroom hasn't improved in either.

I've not seen the detailed specs for the Milton End, but it's a similar reprofile/redevelop approach. Where I suspect the biggest improvements will be for visiting fans is around the amenities and the ability to purchase a pie and pint.

* may not be true
Thanks for the interesting summary.
I’m not sure men were only 4ft 8ins tall in this country a 100 years ago though unless that was a peculiarity of the salty air stunting the growth of people on Portsea Island!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the interesting summary.
I’m not sure men were only 4ft 8ins tall in this country a 100 years ago though unless that was a peculiarity of the salty air stunting the growth of people on Portsea Island!
Oh I dunno, when I was in primary school all my mates were only about 4ft high.

fred binneys head

Love Fratton Park, me. Proper inner city stadium, proper loud, passionate fans, proper club. Loads of time for Pompey and their fans. Hope we stuff them obvs, especially after the semi-final of the pisspot trophy a couple of years back, but still have a soft spot for them.

Bridgy 81

Love Fratton Park, me. Proper inner city stadium, proper loud, passionate fans, proper club. Loads of time for Pompey and their fans. Hope we stuff them obvs, especially after the semi-final of the pisspot trophy a couple of years back, but still have a soft spot for them.
Agreed.
My older brothers both studied in Portsmouth, first in the mid 70s then the late 70s, so when my parents went down to visit I had to tag along being only a youngster at the time.
I always used to try and persuade them to co-ordinate visits with Pompey home matches.
The farthest I go back was when Ian St John was Manager, Chris Kamara was playing for them and a young Steve Foster was just breaking into the team (he’s 65 now).
So I have fond memories of Fratton Park from those days.
I even named our family dog after one of their players when I was 14 (David Kemp if anyone’s interested).
My transition to ECFC was aided by some Pompey connections with the early City teams I watched e.g. Phil Roberts, Dave Pullar and Keith Viney.
By the time I was 18 though I’d seen the light and have been living the dream ever since.

fred binneys head

David is a strange name for a dog, no offence.

Bridgy 81

David is a strange name for a dog, no offence.
None taken.
We actually called him Kemp, which admittedly is also a slightly strange name.
Hope you feel better soon.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
None taken.
We actually called him Kemp, which admittedly is also a slightly strange name.
Hope you feel better soon.
Didn't David Kemp manage Argyle?