• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth (away) 21st Jan

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn't David Kemp manage Argyle?
Whilst David Kemp was playing at Argyle, He & Tony Kellow were top of Division 3 scoring charts in 1980/81 swapping places over the weeks. Kells invited Kemp up to the Centre Spot for a pool competition between the two of them. Kemp took up the challenge, Kells won. It was a entertaining evening.

Bridgy 81

I recall watching us at Portsmouth a few years ago when it was really windy.
I think it may have been the one in November 2013 when we went 3 nil down but pegged them back to 3:2 whilst singing a lengthy rendition of the Stanno song.
But what I also remember from that blustery match day was the odd half-time entertainment.
It consisted of a woman standing pitch side (dressed in period costume I think) reading various bits from the works of Charles Dickens, whilst struggling in the gale to keep hold of her pile of papers.
I know Dickens was born in Portsmouth but it still struck me as a bit strange.
I’m fairly sure this happened and I’m not having some sort of false literary memory.
Perhaps anyone else who witnessed it can confirm that I’m not making it all up and put my mind at rest.

fred binneys head

We’ve never even played away at Portsmouth before Bridgy, are you sure you’re OK?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Oh deep joy, engineering works on the Waterloo to Portsmouth route that weekend :cry:

Spoonz Red E

I recall watching us at Portsmouth a few years ago when it was really windy.
I think it may have been the one in November 2013 when we went 3 nil down but pegged them back to 3:2 whilst singing a lengthy rendition of the Stanno song.
But what I also remember from that blustery match day was the odd half-time entertainment.
It consisted of a woman standing pitch side (dressed in period costume I think) reading various bits from the works of Charles Dickens, whilst struggling in the gale to keep hold of her pile of papers.
I know Dickens was born in Portsmouth but it still struck me as a bit strange.
I’m fairly sure this happened and I’m not having some sort of false literary memory.
Perhaps anyone else who witnessed it can confirm that I’m not making it all up and put my mind at rest.
November 2013.

They got their first goal just before half time when a long shot got caught in a high wind and sailed over a bemused Artur Kryziak in goal.

I think I do remember various types of historical re-enactment that day around the ground but I'm afraid I can't remember the reason.
The game was close to poppy day so it might have been celebrating a Navy connected anniversary or history?

We almost got it back to 3-3 at the death with a Tom Nichols header parried by their keeper just past another city player positioned to capitalise.

Red Devon

Oh deep joy, engineering works on the Waterloo to Portsmouth route that weekend :cry:
Do you know if there’s anything going on from Exeter-Salisbury HR?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do you know if there’s anything going on from Exeter-Salisbury HR?
Looks good. Going either by SWR and change at Salisbury or using GWR and changing at Westbury. Journey time of about 3 hours.

Red Devon

Looks good. Going either by SWR and change at Salisbury or using GWR and changing at Westbury. Journey time of about 3 hours.
Cheers Hants, I’m planning on SWR via Salisbury.

Alistair20000

November 2013.

They got their first goal just before half time when a long shot got caught in a high wind and sailed over a bemused Artur Kryziak in goal.

I think I do remember various types of historical re-enactment that day around the ground but I'm afraid I can't remember the reason.
The game was close to poppy day so it might have been celebrating a Navy connected anniversary or history?

We almost got it back to 3-3 at the death with a Tom Nichols header parried by their keeper just past another city player positioned to capitalise.
We were there for that game. Felt a bit sorry for Artur with that freak goal.

Fratton Park is a bit like a faded old lady but I love the place and Portsmouth itself too.

Alistair20000

At the moment I'm torn between doing this one or MK Dons - which would be a new ground for me.

Or maybe both. Let's see how finances work out. Given I'm away the following weekend too on my annual mates get together in Stroud, negotiations would also need to take place at home...
If you want very comfortable seats, no atmosphere and a soulless stadium go MK. If you want a faded old fashioned ground with passionate fans and lots of atmosphere go Fratton Park.

I am a bit jaundiced about MK mind as my only visit was the 4-3 FA Cup defeat after we were 3-1 up with not that long left to play.:mad:

Hate the feckin’ Franchise me