• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Administrative boundaries change over time so I don't put much stock in them. But best of luck to anyone wanting to get the boundary of Exeter widened to include the larger travel to work area.

Bristol City were originally in Somerset. Grimsby are in Cleethorpes.
Plympton and Plymstock were originally separate towns but both were incorporated into Plymouth with a boundary extension in 1967. From memory I think this was achieved under a private axt of Parliament.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can remember when the Devon County Showground was in Whipton with the huge amount of land behind it in Exhibition/Eastern Fields. When the Show decided to relocate to Westpoint this would have been a prime spot to build a new stadium, Exeter Saracens rugby permitting. Could have been a multi purpose arena with parking and possibly a station beside on the Waterloo line. Whilst the infrastructure wouldn't have been great, it would still be better than currently for the ground. I spoke to a lot of fans at the time about this and none wanted to leave SJP. The simple fact is that everything moves on and nostalgia isn't always the best option. Here ends my heresy!!
[/QUOTE
Looked at in the Drivers Jonas report...........and dismissed!!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
If one was to consider it seriously, the whole idea of progression through the pyramid to the championship as we are is quite scary, not that we couldn't do it, but at what costs financially and as a club!

We have seen this week how much it is costing Bristol City's owner to just maintain Championship status, and they are currently 19th!

The Championship is the most financially unsustainable league, but for those clubs with aspirations for premiershite football is a necessary evil. Once in the premiershite then the owners can relax a little due to media monies and should they fail the parachute payments are quite a softener to form another challenge.

The reality is as a team (not yet squad) we have the players to force a challenge for play offs and if successful you could be looking at a whole new ball game with regards to club structure and financing to maintain that newly elevated position, which even with our current sell outs could not support.
Our academy instead of producing players initially capable of third and fourth division football with an aim to improving them further up the pyramid with first team experience, their entry level would be higher, so we could see less and less academy products on the SJP surface, therefore generating less income (you will have the odd gem but as we are seeing these are being tied up sooner by the bigger clubs) this would mean having to sign (at an increased cost) players to maintain the championship status, with also the vultures circling and swooping on our promotion winning players as we are seeing now.

Not to mention the need to upgrade the ground within 3 years to championship standards!

Hopefully GiG's philanthropist turns up and has deep pockets

We may well see how expensive and costly it is (as well as how deep his pockets are) shortly should the Scum get promoted. Could be the demise of them or they could become a real Yo-Yo club benefiting from the parachute payments like Rovrum.

Money ruins everything!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you were starting from scratch you would probably devise a Greater Exeter council area of around 300K people which would then meet the test of being large enough to be a Untary Authority like Plymouth (Torbay should never have been approved, didn't meet the test, but politics played a part...).

However East Devon and Teignbridge would be strongly opposed, Mid-Devon would lose Crediton and maybe Tiverton, and you would be left with two council areas of North and South Devon with no obvious large nodal points, so I don't see it happening.

What is the Exeter Travel to Work Area? | Exeter City Futures

tom_ecfc

6 months into L1 and the talk is being a Championship team! I’m all for ambition, but lets come back down to earth and be slightly realistic. Maintaining ourselves as a L1 club for 4/5 years should be the aim here. Yes, it’s frustrating we are selling out and ‘losing’ out on additional funds, but the next step is a HUGE step that liked mentioned on here (Bristol City example). Established Championship teams are falling quicker than ever, just look at how many are sat in our League and even in L2, even some ex Prem sides from years gone by.

Let’s continue this ‘golden period’ and embrace it, like others have mentioned, we’ve never reached Championship status in our 120 year history, lets just all slow down a bit. UTC

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
6 months into L1 and the talk is being a Championship team! I’m all for ambition, but lets come back down to earth and be slightly realistic.
Makes a change from people talking about Trust tombolas and no ambition I guess?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
6 months into L1 and the talk is being a Championship team! I’m all for ambition, but lets come back down to earth and be slightly realistic. Maintaining ourselves as a L1 club for 4/5 years should be the aim here. Yes, it’s frustrating we are selling out and ‘losing’ out on additional funds, but the next step is a HUGE step that liked mentioned on here (Bristol City example). Established Championship teams are falling quicker than ever, just look at how many are sat in our League and even in L2, even some ex Prem sides from years gone by.

Let’s continue this ‘golden period’ and embrace it, like others have mentioned, we’ve never reached Championship status in our 120 year history, lets just all slow down a bit. UTC
What's better looking up or looking down?

I'm all for establishing ourselves in league one and am confident that we shall do that this year despite the various speculation doing the rounds on player departures and the doubts about our managerial appointment, but each year it will become more and more difficult with rising costs and (probable) falling revenue.

Like you say though let's just enjoy the players we've got whilst they are with us

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm all for establishing ourselves in league one and am confident that we shall do that this year
I would suggest that we cannot truely say we are established in L1 until we have been here for a number of years.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would suggest that we cannot truely say we are established in L1 until we have been here for a number of years.
But it is a starting point to reach that goal

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it is a starting point to reach that goal
Too true!