• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
At face value yes when we are in a bun fight with the bigger clubs. However, it depends on whether the contract on the table is a first team starter or a squad role which is where we could win out?
Interesting thought. A starter contract or a finisher contract.... :)

Boyo

I'll be honest, I struggle a bit with the definitions now. I used to have a general idea of what a player could do on the pitch based on the number on their shirt, in the same way I used to able to tell a 4-4-2/4-3-3 and even the occasional 3-5-2 apart. We've reached a point now where central midfield/attacking midfield roles are defined based on whether a manager wants to play 'point up' or 'point down' and teams often seem to defend and attack in different formations; which complicates roles and attributes needed.

On the plus side, I'm usually at least a couple of pints in when I step inside Fratton Park so it tends to matter less ;-)
Wait until we start seeing "inverted wingbacks" (Trent Alexander-Arnold) and "floating centre-halves" (John Stones) in League One!

iscalad

Wait until we start seeing "inverted wingbacks" (Trent Alexander-Arnold) and "floating centre-halves" (John Stones) in League One!
You mean like Sweenz and Alex? 😝

Rosencrantz

We were already playing with a "box" midfield last season for a lot of the games. Also one game (Shrewsbury home?), we did play Jonathan Grounds as an inverted full back. Already creeping in 😉

Last edited:

sign of the chimes

Eighteen months of Danny Cowley and I'm an expert when it comes to the half-spaces, playing through the thirds, point-up; point-down; 'the box'. There are myriad others.

Joking aside, I've got a bit of an interest in the way the game is played and how the tactics work - but the game appears to becoming a pseudo-science. I wonder if there's a parallel universe where there are people exchanging the types of views on here and other football messageboards about how supermarket managers set up their operations?!

Grecianpasty

We were already playing with a "box" midfield last season for a lot of the games. Also one game (Shrewsbury home?), we did play Jonathan Grounds as an inverted full back. Already creeping in 😉
Grounds and Kite have played as inverted 'full backs' last year. I love the system, but it didn't work. Pretty sure we did it away to Morecambe too?

tom_ecfc

Grounds and Kite have played as inverted 'full backs' last year. I love the system, but it didn't work. Pretty sure we did it away to Morecambe too?
Good formation, wrong players in those positions. Will see it a lot more in football in general next season.

fred binneys head

We played brilliantly away at Morecambe, how we didn’t win that game I don’t know.

Average Joe

That's pretty much how PLymouth got promoted

Bridgy 81

It’s all a bit quiet on the signings front although I realize it’s still early days.
No news either on whether our current players we’ve offered new contracts to have accepted or rejected yet.
I know the window doesn’t officially open until 14th June but as other clubs have announced some new signings
I was hoping for news from us in that regard by now as well.
Still we’ll probably get to hear somethings in a couple of weeks when the squad return to training.
Besides that I’m also really keen to see next season’s fixture list which we’ll have two weeks today.
That’s when I can get my calendar out and start scouring the whereabouts of nice looking Premier Inns
in relation to their proximity to League One football grounds I’ve not been to before, or fancy at second crack at.