• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apart from a keeper, I would much rather go with what we've got and use some youngsters as back up than sign any old journeyman pro who is just looking for another pay day.

Grecianpasty

He's not good enough for L1 (IMO) he struggled in L2 last season
You're probably right, but it still looks likely he will be heading out way.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not so sure. I reckon this is one of those occasions that someone picked up a 'rumour' from Exeweb.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rumours are ten a penny on these social media transfer sites about as reliable as In the Know 84! I reckon we will still hold out for the Brizzle City boy and Harry will be trusted for the first few games

sign of the chimes

He's not good enough for L1 (IMO) he struggled in L2 last season
I think we'll all know where he's off to in the next few days. Pompey signed a first choice on-loan last week and have just signed a development keeper as back up who was released from Spurs in the summer.

Bass wasn't in our squad for a friendly with Orient tonight and Cowley confirmed afterwards that he and one of our full-backs were 'talking to other clubs'.

sign of the chimes

Crawley had supposedly put in a bid last week for a permanent deal. For what little it's worth I think a loan would be unlikely at this stage.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apart from a keeper, I would much rather go with what we've got and use some youngsters as back up than sign any old journeyman pro who is just looking for another pay day.
With respect, that’s potential suicide. We’ve got a decent starting XI with a few more decent options off the bench, but a few injuries down the line and we’d be asking rookies to go up against some serious quality in L1. Some of them will do fine but not sure that’s enough for us to survive.

We can’t afford to underestimate this league otherwise we could be back in L2 very quickly indeed.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we'll all know where he's off to in the next few days. Pompey signed a first choice on-loan last week and have just signed a development keeper as back up who was released from Spurs in the summer.

Bass wasn't in our squad for a friendly with Orient tonight and Cowley confirmed afterwards that he and one of our full-backs were 'talking to other clubs'.
So I assume you mean you think he’s definitely coming here, or did you mean Crawley?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are rightly focussed on getting in a GK. However, almost as important is in getting hold of forwards off the bench and players who can play e.g. in the carling Cup or whatever its now called. I was most impressed with the lad Tommy Conway who scored Bristol's two goals and it appears he is about 5th choice for the Robins and hails from Taunton! Also they have another striker name of Sam Bell who is another highly fancied young striker. Two fom the Robins perhaps?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
With respect, that’s potential suicide. We’ve got a decent starting XI with a few more decent options off the bench, but a few injuries down the line and we’d be asking rookies to go up against some serious quality in L1. Some of them will do fine but not sure that’s enough for us to survive.

We can’t afford to underestimate this league otherwise we could be back in L2 very quickly indeed.
Yes I agree. BUT I'd rather that than pay someone a League One wage that we didn't really want and had to settle for, who puts in a half-decent performance once in a while, just so we can have a nice big squad.