• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Decline of Manchester United

Average Joe

I think this is the first time in my life I have seen them bottom of the premier league, I know it's only 2 games in but wow. They seem to have left it too late in the transfer market to bring in any genuine world class players who could make an instant impact.

I can't see any player from any English top 6 want to move across to the red devils.

Imagine if they got relegated, would be crazy

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think this is the first time in my life I have seen them bottom of the premier league, I know it's only 2 games in but wow. They seem to have left it too late in the transfer market to bring in any genuine world class players who could make an instant impact.

I can't see any player from any English top 6 want to move across to the red devils.

It would be great to play them next season as equals!

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

They've been relegated before, back in the 70's, They've been bottom of the PL before, I think they lost the first three games one season but went on to win the league. Since SAF left their choices of managers have been pretty average and the Glazers really don't know what the English game is about. Woeful recruitment and TBH the players they've got today don't scare the opposition like they use to, OT is said to be in need of repair, Apparently its been over 15 years since something major was last done and back in SAF's day OT was a fortress and the players were awesome.

Alistair20000

In reply to the thread title:

Rejoice !

Average Joe

They've been relegated before, back in the 70's, They've been bottom of the PL before, I think they lost the first three games one season but went on to win the league. Since SAF left their choices of managers have been pretty average and the Glazers really don't know what the English game is about. Woeful recruitment and TBH the players they've got today don't scare the opposition like they use to, OT is said to be in need of repair, Apparently its been over 15 years since something major was last done and back in SAF's day OT was a fortress and the players were awesome.
I often agree with you but I don't agree with the poor choice of managers, I just think the club/board and it's fans seem to think they are one good manager away from everything being back to what they know and being on top. Jose did well with a poor united team and he still got the sack.

Up to now they seem to be fixed on big players win titles but that's not true. They need to be looking at good players from the BPL. Rice, Vardy. Kane, Sterling etc but instead they pay over the odds for mediocre players from over seas.

DB9

I often agree with you but I don't agree with the poor choice of managers, I just think the club/board and it's fans seem to think they are one good manager away from everything being back to what they know and being on top. Jose did well with a poor united team and he still got the sack.

Up to now they seem to be fixed on big players win titles but that's not true. They need to be looking at good players from the BPL. Rice, Vardy. Kane, Sterling etc but instead they pay over the odds for mediocre players from over seas.
If he was good for them he wouldn't have been given the boot, It maybe because he had less influence on recruitment of players like he had at Chelsea? but he certainly lost his edge when there imo, The biggest thing him and other managers couldn't do what SAF could do was have a succssful team but knew when to break it up and re-build it for another go, SAF knew when to get rid of players who thought they were bigger than the club or just not up to it anymore. As for the rest of their managers, They were mid-table ones at best.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Manchester United the gift that keeps on giving :)

DB9

Manchester United the gift that keeps on giving :)
For me it was the same as the 70's & 80's when Liverpool were winning everything, Loved it when they went through their "Transition" and couldn't win much except the odd cup competition but their US owners seem to be doing things the right way, The Glazers could learn a lot from them. Man U will come good again but atm they are a world away from the top for and where they use to be but i do think the Glazers need to go.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Man United have been mismanaged since Fergie left but the reality is, they are only a good manager and a few good signings away from being back on track.

As someone who keeps an eye on Newcastle, it does make me laugh that when they had Mike Ashley at the helm and the club had a lack of direction, the fans weren't communicated to, the stadium and training ground were left to rot - the media and other fans told Newcastle supporters that he was a good businessman and they were lucky to have him...

The Glazers are a better version of Mike Ashley because they actually make money available for transfers but the media and fans seem to think they are terrible owners...

DB9

The Glazers are a better version of Mike Ashley because they actually make money available for transfers but the media and fans seem to think they are terrible owners...
They have put Man U into debt to the tune of about half billion:

" The accounts, for the three months ending March 31 this year, expose the net debt now standing at 582.47 million euros, up from 521.13 million euros. While the long-term US debt has not changed, the rise included the credit facility which United have used to provide "financial flexibility" during the pandemic."