• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The very first vinyl record you bought.....

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
As soon as I saw Johnny Kidd & the Pirates on Six Five Special (do you remember it?), I immediately realised that they were different and really broke the mould of British groups of the time.
Six Five Special, do I remember it? I grew up with 'Drumbeat', 'Oh Boy!' 'Wham', 'Boy meets Girl'! Proper rock n' roll shows they were, long before the british invasion! A great instrumental I loved from 'Wham' was 'Hoots Mon' by Lord Rockinghams X1.

Heres a good Johnny Kidd Website Frank: http://www.johnnykidd.co.uk/

Theres a lot of people of more mature years who have yet to declare the first vinyl record they bought! ********, Rae! You must have bought the odd Tommy Steele or two! In fact Rae, I think you might be more of a Frankie Vaughan or David Whitfield type.

Newtonpop

Jumped off the bus at Basildon bus station (had to change buses) in July 1972 and went straight into the record shop there with my 1st pay packet burning a hole in my pocket and purchased the Slade Alive! album, can't remember how much it cost though.

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Black Night - Deep Purple

axred

Ashes to ashes - David Bowie

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
'Telstar' by the Tornadoes first single in 1962. Also had 'The Big Country' film soundtrack LP about same time even though it was first released in 1959. We probably only got a Decca record player in 1962 and that's why we had nothing earlier. We only got a telly in about 1966 just in time for the world cup. My Nan and Grandad had a telly earlier in 1958 and I remember Wells Fargo with Dale Robertson.

DJH2005

Bad Manners - Lip Up Fatty. 7" single.