• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale to Swindon?

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the time Tisdale's been in charge, how many sides at a similar level to us have earned more in transfer fees from youth team products or players brought in when they were too raw for the first team (i.e., I'll count Jamie Mackie, but exclude Golborne)?
Does that include all the players Dolan and Inglethorpe developed for Tisdale to cash in? (I'll count Jamie Mackie but exclude Grimeo)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Does that include all the players Dolan and Inglethorpe developed for Tisdale to cash in? (I'll count Jamie Mackie but exclude Grimeo)
Mackie was going nowhere until Tisdale sorted him out in the summer of 2007, working to develop specific aspects of his game such as the ability to know when to pick a pass or to go for goal. In fact the groundswell of opinion in the summer of 2007 was "Why the eff are we persisting with Mackie, he clearly isn't good enough". Those seemingly "in the know" suggested his best level was Ryman League. Six months later his rise that took him to the Premier League and international caps began.

I get it though, you've got form for moving the goalposts to suit your anti-Tisdale agenda.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I don't know the answer to the question , and Tisdale does clearly deserve credit for transfer fees rec'd . I think it is fair to credit inglethorpe certainly for his part in Moxey and mackie's development as well as what Tisdale did afterwards. Think all the others sold came after ingle left but not sure.

Would be interested to know whether we have pulled in more than other clubs as I am all for giving credit if it is genuinely deserved. Off the top of my head Crewe got 2.3m for Powell and Dagenham got a fee and big add on for gayle.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think Gayle moved to Peterborough for not very much (about £150K IIRC), but the add-on would have been significant.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mackie was going nowhere until Tisdale sorted him out in the summer of 2007, working to develop specific aspects of his game such as the ability to know when to pick a pass or to go for goal. In fact the groundswell of opinion in the summer of 2007 was "Why the eff are we persisting with Mackie, he clearly isn't good enough". Those seemingly "in the know" suggested his best level was Ryman League. Six months later his rise that took him to the Premier League and international caps began.

I get it though, you've got form for moving the goalposts to suit your anti-Tisdale agenda.
My agenda has always been that Tisdale arrived at an extremely fortuitous time and capitalised on that.

Dolan and Ingelthorpe have both forged impressive youth coach careers in the Prem and thus it's no coincidence that Tisdale inherited a very good spine of players from which to build his first promotion team. What we don't know of course is how many of Tisdale's early signings had already been identified, I would suggest more than a few.

What happens when Tisdale isn't left a good spine of players and further identified transfer targets can be evidenced from the past four seasons, we're not exactly pulling up trees in League Two now are we?

Moreover, Inglethorpe understood how to progress in the FA Cup, which, allowing for inflation probably netted the club as much over two games as Tisdale has made from all 'his' players that he has sold (and he has had a darn sight longer)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My agenda has always been that Tisdale arrived at an extremely fortuitous time and capitalised on that.

Dolan and Ingelthorpe have both forged impressive youth coach careers in the Prem and thus it's no coincidence that Tisdale inherited a very good spine of players from which to build his first promotion team. What we don't know of course is how many of Tisdale's early signings had already been identified, I would suggest more than a few.

What happens when Tisdale isn't left a good spine of players and further identified transfer targets can be evidenced from the past four seasons, we're not exactly pulling up trees in League Two now are we?

Moreover, Inglethorpe understood how to progress in the FA Cup, which, allowing for inflation probably netted the club as much over two games as Tisdale has made from all 'his' players that he has sold (and he has had a darn sight longer)
My sides have just split, sorry.

Let's look at some of the key protagonists of the DOUBLE promotion (and rise to our highest ever league finish in the four tier era). Rob Edwards - signed by Tisdale. Matt Taylor - signed by Tisdale. Ryan Harley - signed by Tisdale. None of these will have been on the radar at all prior to Tisdale's appointment. Andy Marriott played a key role both in our first promotion and in taking Paul Jones to the next level - signed by Tisdale. George Friend played one match under Inglethorpe - a dour end of season 0-0 at Forest Green, and developed under Tisdale. Mackie was going nowhere until Tisdale developed him. Likewise Moxey, whose career had stalled big time and people were questioning his future.

Steve Basham - big role in our first promotion. Signed by Tisdale. Richard Logan, big role in both promotions - signed by Tisdale.

Not sure I really need to go on.

Antony Moxey

Course you do Jase. Even though he signed them it was obviously either the youth team coaches or assistant managers that have developed the players. Isn't it obvious that Tisdale has had absolutely no input whatsoever to any player at all for the entire duration of his tenure? Blimey, surely you realise Tisdale's only role at the club is to speak poorly to the media and advertise Ted Baker's wares.

I never thought you were daft enough to even consider Tisdale might have done something right since he got here, it's obvious even to a blind man that any successes we've had were the result of someone else's work and in spite of him not because of him.

GrecianWonder

Course you do Jase. Even though he signed them it was obviously either the youth team coaches or assistant managers that have developed the players. Isn't it obvious that Tisdale has had absolutely no input whatsoever to any player at all for the entire duration of his tenure? Blimey, surely you realise Tisdale's only role at the club is to speak poorly to the media and advertise Ted Baker's wares.

I never thought you were daft enough to even consider Tisdale might have done something right since he got here, it's obvious even to a blind man that any successes we've had were the result of someone else's work and in spite of him not because of him.
Ant you are wrong. Tis has had input, but only in the rubbish players! He's at fault for mcnish, oberstellar, whichelow, Bauza etc but has nothing to do with good players such as Edwards, Taylor Harley, golbourne, dunne, Duffy, hamer, noone. He just got lucky!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I am not going to back globegrecian up 100% because Tisdale and indeed any manager who gains play off and promotion spots is deserving of credit. I do think however that some of the points have some merit.

It may not be the intention but some of the sarcastic comments to his post come across as trying to airbrush Dolan and inglethorpe out of any involvement completely.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It may not be the intention but some of the sarcastic comments to his post come across as trying to airbrush Dolan and inglethorpe out of any involvement completely.
Utter nonsense. What the sarcastic comments do is serve as a riposte to the thought that Dolan and Inglethorpe should be taking the credit for City's rise to L1 and that Tisdale somehow "got lucky". While they should certainly take *some* credit for the squad Tisdale inherited, even though we had just finished in our lowest EVER position under Inglethorpe (and the knives were most certainly out for him), the overwhelming bulk of the credit should go to Tisdale.