• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale to Swindon?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Utter nonsense. What the sarcastic comments do is serve as a riposte to the thought that Dolan and Inglethorpe should be taking the credit for City's rise to L1 and that Tisdale somehow "got lucky". While they should certainly take *some* credit for the squad Tisdale inherited, even though we had just finished in our lowest EVER position under Inglethorpe (and the knives were most certainly out for him), the overwhelming bulk of the credit should go to Tisdale.
It's not utter nonsense Jason because that was how it read to me. I did qualify it with saying that may not have been the intention. Please tell me if I have it wrong but you seem not to have a very high opinion of inglethorpe.

I agree the Tisdale deserves the majority of the credit, overwhelming bulk to me suggests that the some credit going to inglethorpe in your opinion is a very small percentage. You are right that our finishing position of seventh was disappointing, I think that season we may have finished higher had we bowed out of the trophy earlier than the semi finals. Still glad we didn't though as it was worth giving a go to try and reach the final imo. We will never know what would have happened had inglethorpe remained in his job and I am not going to second guess it one way or the other.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the credit for Inglethorpe should be a "very small percentage" - if the squad Tisdale inherited was so wonderful, why did we just finish in our lowest ever position playing utterly terrible Football? Three seasons in and Tisdale had turned that squad into one competing in League One, both through developing the talent he inherited and augmenting it with some fine and often inspired signings (Matt Taylor stands out).

My opinion of Inglethorpe waned somewhat in the second half of 05/06 when he was found out tactically and we played some of the worst Football I've seen us play (Blakey notwithstanding) including what I still rate as the worst performance I have ever seen from City (the 0-2 at Burton).

Red Monster

My agenda has always been that Tisdale arrived at an extremely fortuitous time and capitalised on that.

Dolan and Ingelthorpe have both forged impressive youth coach careers in the Prem and thus it's no coincidence that Tisdale inherited a very good spine of players from which to build his first promotion team. What we don't know of course is how many of Tisdale's early signings had already been identified, I would suggest more than a few.

What happens when Tisdale isn't left a good spine of players and further identified transfer targets can be evidenced from the past four seasons, we're not exactly pulling up trees in League Two now are we?

Moreover, Inglethorpe understood how to progress in the FA Cup, which, allowing for inflation probably netted the club as much over two games as Tisdale has made from all 'his' players that he has sold (and he has had a darn sight longer)
Most of the side that got us back in the League never played under Ingelthorpe.

malcolms

Ant you are wrong. Tis has had input, but only in the rubbish players! He's at fault for mcnish, oberstellar, whichelow, Bauza etc but has nothing to do with good players such as Edwards, Taylor Harley, golbourne, dunne, Duffy, hamer, noone. He just got lucky!
Always assuming you can take credit for improving a player on loan from another club....how much more credit (and profit) might have been gained if he had taken notice of Mike Blackstone when he "flagged" the boy to the club when he was still playing non league?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
No-one got an answer to my question then? I mean, you can say that a load of young players playing in the first team and then being sold for high values while Tisdale's been here has no relation to him being here... its pretty weak, but you can say it. But can anyone name a club or two with a better record at this during the time Tisdale's been at the helm?

Last edited:

IJN

From an outsider looking in, Tisdale is THE best manager you've ever had whilst I've been a football fan. I can't believe some of the crap written on here sometimes.

Tisdale out? I reckon you guys should build a statue of him for what he's achieved at your club.

richard_portland

my opinion of Tisdale waned somewhat as well from our dismal relegation season onwards.

I did offer my opinion on the league position in my previous post which you appear to have ignored. Am sure it wasn't in any way deliberate but Tisdale exiting the trophy early in his conference seasons helped us earn some extra points. Not suggesting the complete difference in points was down to that but a possible factor.

Tisdale is a mixture of highs and lows. Very good signings and very poor ones.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
From an outsider looking in, Tisdale is THE best manager you've ever had whilst I've been a football fan. I can't believe some of the crap written on here sometimes.

Tisdale out? I reckon you guys should build a statue of him for what he's achieved at your club.
Very similar to something a Plym**th supporter watching the Stevenage match with us said.

richard_portland

No-one got an answer to my question then? I mean, you can say that a load of young players playing in the first team and then being sold for high values while Tisdale's been here has no relation to him being here... its pretty weak, but you can say it. But can anyone name a club or two with a better record at this during the time Tisdale's been at the helm?

I think Crewe would be one. I am sure there are some others but haven't done the work of looking. I agree that Tisdale has been involved in bringing in transfer fees for quite a number of players across his tenure. I just think the question is a bit wooly as presumably you don't know one way or the other either.

I think his record on that would be nearer the top than the bottom quite comfortably. I do also think that budget cuts coming from poor home results and absense of cup income in a number of seasons is down to him as well.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm not saying Tisdale Out.

I'm saying that he inherited a club in good financial shape and with the backbone of a team on which he could build. How many City managers since Cooper could say that?

Clearly there is something very different now to Tisdale's second and third seasons in charge. Because now we are unable to mount a serious play-off challenge, and are horribly inconsistent.

If we build a statue of Tisdale it will have to go alongside Cooper, who actually won the league, Inglethorpe whose FA Cup exploits saved the club, and Godfrey