• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why are ITV ever let near sport?

iscalad

Why are ITV ever let near sport?
It's been a mystery for many a long year.

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

This week 1977

Sue Barker who had won the French Open In 1976 was one of the favourites to win the Women’s Title at Wimbledon. She surprisingly lost in the Semi Final to
Betty Stove((NL)
In the other Semi another big surprise, Virginia Wade beat reigning champion Chris Evert(US)
Although only 21, this proved to be the high point of Sue Barkers Tennis career.

4D48000B-0E59-48CC-BAFC-02BECAC5196C.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

18th June 1973:

Roger Delgado, best known for his role as The Master in Doctor Who dies in an automobile accident in Turkey while filming for German television.

9EF2157A-C101-4C07-8495-D97FC9ABBFB4.jpeg

DB9

18th June 1973:

Roger Delgado, best known for his role as The Master in Doctor Who dies in an automobile accident in Turkey while filming for German television.

View attachment 15748
The one, true Master!

Alistair20000

The one, true Master!
Aye. He was a great villain and none of his successors to the role come anywhere close

DB9

Aye. He was a great villain and none of his successors to the role come anywhere close
He played the character in such a sinister way, No show off special powers, dressed in virtually all black and a quiet voice that was pure evil.

Alistair20000

This week 1977

Sue Barker who had won the French Open In 1976 was one of the favourites to win the Women’s Title at Wimbledon. She surprisingly lost in the Semi Final to
Betty Stove((NL)
In the other Semi another big surprise, Virginia Wade beat reigning champion Chris Evert(US)
Although only 21, this proved to be the high point of Sue Barkers Tennis career.

View attachment 15747
The Paignton Peach who never quite fulfilled her tennis potential :(

Betty Stove had one of the weakest serves I have ever seen and I was really surprised she beat Sue.

DB9

Betty Stove had one of the weakest serves I have ever seen and I was really surprised she beat Sue.
I blame Cliff Richard! :)

Oldsmobile-88

Yes. It turned into a great opportunity for Virginia Wade to win Wimbledon at last in front of HM The Queen on a rare visit to SW12.

As an aside, I went to a Wedding reception at Virginia Wades Kent home about 20 years ago. She certainly invested her prize money wisely. It was a beautiful country estate. A nice little earner catering for weddings in the summer months.