• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lest we forget that liberal heroine Frau Merkel and her kid gloves and highly dubious approach to Vlad the Invader.
I don’t suppose she’s seen as a populist and a purveyor of ‘snake oil’.🤷‍♂️

Spoonz Red E

Did forget to mention, Also good few back handers were allegedly given from Russia and Qatar to get their WC's.
Those portaloos don't come cheap.

Radio Free Skaro

Kemi Badendoch for Tory leader anyone?! Assuming there is a functioning Conservative party left to lead after the election ..

Mr Jinx

Kemi Badendoch for Tory leader anyone?! Assuming there is a functioning Conservative party left to lead after the election ..
Not for me.

tavyred

Is she in a safe seat? Are there any truly safe Tory seats now? 🤷‍♂️

arthur

Is she in a safe seat? Are there any truly safe Tory seats now? 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I checked a while back. All the, as of now, potential candidates are reasonably safe. Braverman, Badenoch and Patel from your wing, plus Tugendhat and Cleverly from the Planet Earth faction. I suspect someone quite different might suddenly emerge.. Who do you fancy, apart from the friend of Trump and Putin?

tavyred

Yes, I checked a while back. All the, as of now, potential candidates are reasonably safe. Braverman, Badenoch and Patel from your wing, plus Tugendhat and Cleverly from the Planet Earth faction. I suspect someone quite different might suddenly emerge.. Who do you fancy, apart from the friend of Trump and Putin?
From my Tory membership days my choice was indeed Badenoch under the tutelage of the Govemeister.
I’m only a semi-interested observer now. 🫣

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lest we forget that liberal heroine Frau Merkel and her kid gloves and highly dubious approach to Vlad the Invader.
I don’t suppose she’s seen as a populist and a purveyor of ‘snake oil’.🤷‍♂️
I couldn't give a fig about Merkel. But the succession of extremely wealthy, privately educated politicians who claim to be speaking for 'the people' in the UK I do care about, as they effect our lives rather directly.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Different point to the one I was making, but yeh, I agree with the above.

I'm just fascinated as to how these populist politicians convince people that they've speaking for 'the masses', when they're so transparently just snake oil salesmen.

5 minutes ago Johnson was the hero 'big character' leader, fighting the woke establishment and enhancing Britain's standing on the world stage. Now he's talking down the next big populist character. They're all full of shit, but populist supporters have extraordinarily short memories.
Remember when certain people were creaming themselves over Lawrence Fox leading a glorious revolution?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remember when certain people were creaming themselves over Lawrence Fox leading a glorious revolution?
Quite.

The make some noise, 'the people' get on board with them, they make a load of money for them and their mates, they move on. And 'the people' are on to the next.

And the same folk who were lauding how the latest one 'tells it likes it is' are suddenly labelling the previous one as an irrelevance.